Chapter 16: The Threat of a Child

After a few days, it seems the crown prince was able to feel more comfortable in our home.

Normally, I would try to stay away from the capture targets, but I've been thinking.

One of the major factors that resulted in the fall of the Dukedom was the annulment of the engagement between Violet and the crown prince. To annul the engagement, the crown prince had collected evidence on the Deianira house to out them to society. This ruined both Violet and the Deianira family, but Virgil was able to survive the accusations thrown at his house by throwing his family members under the bus and using his own wits.

There's nothing I can do about their engagement, and I'm already trying to help Violet become a more learned person. The only other person involved in this equation would be the crown prince.

The crown prince's future is to be the flirty and lax type of character. However, it's drastically different from his current younger self, who resembles more of a golden retriever than anything. That's why, if he stayed like this, there's less of a chance of him abandoning Violet like that.

I don't care what anybody says, if you get engaged to someone and then start courting another person without breaking off the engagement first, you're just a cheating bastard. You can act like you don't give a shit, but don't drag other people into it, as it can hurt another person. Even if Violet was haughty in the game, she did genuinely love him, and it's just a slap in her face with how he was acting.

There's a story for everything, but I at least want to teach him to respect other people and their feelings. Even if he fell in love with the heroine, his previous flirty behavior is still a no-no in my book.

However, I can't just suddenly come in and tell him what to do, that'll just have the opposite effect. That's why I've been trying to get along with him so we're at least at the level of being friends. Not to mention, it's always nice to be on the good side of someone with power. (I might sound pretty scummy but it's the truth.)

The tough part is that I learned pretty early on that we are two different types of people. Sure, we both like reading books, but he also likes being outside and doing shit in the sun. Why do you actually act like a child!

Hahh...

Anyway, although I'm at constant risk of the UV rays giving me cancer every time by the end of one of his little adventures, it seems my hard work has paid off. Whenever I see him, he's laughing more often, which he didn't do before much. Not to mention, I've noticed that he's let me stay in the shade recently, though I'm not sure if it's intentional or not. Either way, the kid's growing on me, even if I hate to admit it.

He's only staying for a few days though, and it's mostly for him and Violet to meet, more than anything. Not to mention, I can't visit often to talk to him because of my own work. However, the three of us still end up hanging out at the end of the day, which has been a stress reliever, to be honest.

However, since he's only visiting for a few days, those days are up now.

In my usual morning reports to the office, after talking about some of the current standings of our major subsidiaries, the Duke brought the topic up.

"I've heard that you've been really close with the crown prince lately."

"Mn."

"That's a relief, I was worried at first when—"

The Duke then cleared his throat.

"Tomorrow the crown prince will be heading back, and since you're close with him, you can inform him and Violet of it. You'll be meeting each other again a lot in the future, but you should at least know beforehand."