Chapter 6: the Viscount

I feel like I'm interrupted a lot lately. I focus on the book in my hand but I don't really care what it's about, I glance up often to see what this woman is up to.

She seems to be talking with Violet. They look like they get along.

I know I'm not supposed to judge a book bt it's cover, but nobody would blame me if I think she's highly suspicious and probably a bad influence on Violet, right?

I pretend to focus on the book but I listen in on their conversation instead to see what she's talking to her about.

Their conversations are just mindless chatter to be honest. It's not like I was expecting anything too outrageous anyways. However, Arethusa seems real keen on teaching Violet how to be a "proper" noble. She's basically teaching her how to be a haughty villainess!

Well it's true that being spoiled at a young age doesn't automatically make a person into a villainess, but are you seriously telling me that she was actually taught how to be a villainess from her own aunt!? Aunty, do you not understand you're sabotaging your own niece's future!?

I sigh under my breath which unfortunately catches the attention of this stupid Aunt.

She looks at me for a second with eyes that seemed to be sizing me up before closing them in a smile and acknowledging my existence.

"Is the book you're reading interesting?"

I wouldn't really know since I'm not really paying attention to what I'm reading. However, she creeps me out so I just nod my head silently, hoping she'll stop talking to me.

"Aren't you smart for your age. Anyway, I heard from my sister about your situation and I want to let you know that this family will always support you. You can think of me as your second mother."

I already have a perfectly good mother right now, no thanks lady.

"We're one big family so we'll always support one another, right?"

The emphasis on the last part makes me realize why she's talking to me and her look from before. I'm currently the only heir to the Deianira family. Her "support" is just so she and her family can live off of me and probably violet too in the future.

You think you can just openly try to manipulate me since I'm a kid? Well, sucks for you lady, I've got years of experience of dealing with a crafty girl from my past life(fuck you sis). I can easily tell what you're planning and don't think that I'm just gonna let you mooch off of me in the future.

As I'm thinking this, I suddenly remember a part in the game where if you don't go the Virgil route, he still becomes the duke early by overthrowing his evil adoptive father and then moves closer to his adoptive mother's household. Virgil from the game! I thought you were supposed to be smart! Does that mean he was actually manipulated! That guy's a dumbass!

As I lament over the fact that the me from the original world was actually a dumbass that got manipulated so easily, we're called to have dinner.

Dinner was a nightmare. It was like the the atmosphere of when we arrived but multiplied by social anxiety. My stomach started to hurt, but I couldn't say or do anything about it so I just continued to eat, while also minding my table manners, thanks Orpheus. Again, I actually feel thankful for my dead face muscles since I would've been found out so easily and I would rather not deal with that.

As dinner continued, one issue was continuously brought up but always redirected to another subject. It was the subject of the current Viscount of this house, the Duchess's father, who we haven't seen all day.

It's really strange.

I continuously thought about this as I laid down on the bed of the guest room they provided.

Letting the curiosity get the best of me, I decided to investigate with my magic. I don't really want to be caught sneaking around in the middle of the night, since it'll be annoying to explain.

As I went around, using magic, I'm able to see what the other members of the family are doing.

Kairos, the duchess's brother, was in his office, filling out paperwork and documents. He's most likely going to be the next Viscount, so I guess he's getting familiar with the position. Their mother was pampering herself and putting on make up and stuff like that. Arethusa and Pello, her husband, were talking to one another.

They were talking about Violet and me actually.

"I think everything is going well. I talked to both of them today. Virgil seems to be quiet, but he seems like a regular kid. It won't be a big deal to make him trust us, as long as we use my sister's ties to us to our advantage."

Bro! I'll punch you, lady!

I leave to search for the duchess's dad, but not before I write down those two under my grudge list.

I roam the halls and go into a bunch of different rooms. Some empty, some where servants are talking, and stuff like that.

I finally found a room that I think belongs to the Viscount.

It's a dark room with bookshelves lining the walls. The only light came from the moonlight peeking in from the windows. There was a large bed with large drapes surrounding the four sides.

I crept closer to the bed and unveil what's being hidden. What I saw shocked me and I quickly retract my mana as I realize someone coming into the room where my body currently is.

It was just a maid coming in to check on me to see if I needed something. I just go under my covers and decide to sleep. It's late at night and I'll deal with this tomorrow. I need to figure out what's really happening and why things are like this.

This is a pretty short chapter compared to my other chapters but I think it's a good place to leave off on. Sorry if my writing and dialogue is bad, I didn't think about this arc much and I'm trying to not make plot holes or continuity errors. You might be able to guess what's gonna happen next so I'll try to make it more interesting next chapter.