Chapter 39: Sulking

"Camellia Markiades!"

The handsome and charming blonde-haired boy looked surprised.

To not disappoint him he had worked hard before the exam. He was sure he had gotten a perfect score. If anything, the only person he was worried about was Violet, who was tutored by Virgil himself.

A tinge of pain could be felt in his heart. He felt regretful, as he felt as though he had let him down.

He wanted to impress him.

Biting his lip lightly, he turned his view to Virgil, despite the lights dimming for the spotlight.

However, their views did not align.

Following his line of sight, he saw that the one that was in his eyes was a cute pink-haired girl.

'If I was more competent... that could've been me, reflecting in your eyes...'

As the grip of his hand tightened, he only paused when he realized a pain on his lip, caused by his own lip biting. Taking a breath, he calmed himself down.

Lightly brushing his finger over the bottom of his lip, wiping off any blood that emerged, he rested his head on his hand, waiting for this long ceremony to be over.

He couldn't let a moment of jealousy overtake him.

He knew better now.

He knew what this feeling was now.

He should be used to this.

Or at least that's what he repeats to himself.

☁︎☁︎☁︎

Seeing that dumb half-awake look on the heroine's face, I'm so disappointed.

Think of all the people who actually cared!

That's so unfair!

I know she's your favorite and all that, but did you really have to do this, god?!

Anyway, seeing her as surprised as everyone else, she quickly assessed the situation before clearing her throat. Getting up from her seat, she made her way to the stage, though looking a tad bit nervous.

Though, how good do you have to be at reading the room to understand you need to go up on stage? Is it just natural heroine instincts? If it is, we should really get you tested at a lab.

Joking aside, I just take a deep breath to myself. I was so ready to take mental pictures in my head while bragging about my children.

Speaking of, I looked over at Violet and Cyril.

Violet seemed to not be too bummed luckily. Well, I did teach her to take a loss with grace. Though, that's only if the other party aren't in the wrong in the first place, of course.

Much to my surprise though, I found Cyril to have a rather grim look on his face?!

He was the last person I expected to have that expression!

...

I should probably talk to him after this...

It's good to try your best, but not getting perfection is perfectly fine. It'll be bad if he dwells on it too much!

Right!

Studies and achievements are important but it shouldn't be a sole focus in life!

I'm gonna definitely spoil him so he understands!

Kids should just focus on being happy!

Strengthening my resolve, I turn my attention back to the stage, as the heroine arrived at the podium.