Chapter 24: Look at Me

After we met the Marchioness's daughter, Iris, we made our way to the garden that the tea party was being held in. The garden had a built-in courtyard with tables set up where you could see the flowers in bloom easily.

Violet and I walked in with the Duchess, the Marchioness, and her daughter.

Iris was extremely composed and calm and had a relaxing smile. Her steps were graceful and natural.

If she's the same age as me, she must be seven too, but she definitely seems more mature than Violet, who's only a year younger than her. I keep forgetting that there are actually a lot of mature kids in this world, especially when Mika is two years younger and seems more mature than me...

Anyway, I carefully studied the way she carried herself so I could have more reference when helping Violet with her manner lessons. I tried to not make it obvious I was looking at Iris, but it seems her mom saw me and chuckled under her breath with a sly smile.

...

Lady, I think I know what you're thinking, and you better stop it.

Iris is a nice girl and all but I don't have the time to think about love-related stuff right now. Not to mention, I don't think I can see any girl my age around me right now as romantic partners since they're literal children. I also prefer cute girls, like the heroine, over the calm type. (though I'm definitely staying away from the heroine.)

As I was thinking about this, I remembered that Virgil technically also had a fiancé too. However, unlike with the crown prince's route, she wasn't a villainess that got in the way of the heroine. She was just mentioned at the end as an understanding person who was fine with stepping back.

...

Oi. Isn't that kind of unfair to his fiancé. Being known as a lady that had her engagement broken off is horrible for their image, and in a society where a woman was expected to marry a man to be supported, it was like marital suicide.

Hahhh...

I can only see Virgil as scum too now. What is up with these capture targets! Handsome men truly are the scum of the earth! How can they get away with that just because they're a little bit better looking! Apologize to all the plain and ugly guys, you jerks!

Okay, let's calm down.

My engagement will probably be brought up soon, so I should probably figure out a way to get out of it. I don't want to make a commitment too quickly. It would suck if I had a fiancé but somehow fell in love with someone else, I would just be the same exact scum as the Virgil in the game.

Luckily, I already have an idea.

I'll probably just explain that I want to focus on my studies and improving myself as I'll be the crown prince's attendant when I grow up. It was a setting in the game, but it'll also allow me to make sure Cyril doesn't go down the wrong path of being an uncontrollable flirt and cold-blooded man.

Anyway, I'll have a lot of studying and training up ahead so I can do my duties correctly, so I can't attend to a fiancé right now.

That should probably be a good excuse.

I'm drawn back to reality because of a familiar shade of hair that can only be found in this world. The light coming off from the golden color could blind an unsuspecting person.

To my surprise, it was the crown prince, Cyril.

When he saw me enter the courtyard with the Duchess and Violet, he perked up like a little puppy and had a bright smile on his face. I swear I could see a fluffy golden tail wagging behind him...