Chapter 4: Accident

I look out the window and look below to see the servants moving some bags into a carriage. I race downstairs and arrive there.

I'm always surprised how I'm not out of breath from running so much. Maybe I was just old in my past life, but I'm a lot more limber than I was in my past life.

I look around and see the duchess, chatting with her close maid servant, so I walk up to her all proper-like.

"Duchess, where could you be going?"

Surprised at first, her eyes soon turned gentle and she kindly answered.

"Every 3 months, I go back to visit my family for a few days. My father, your grandfather, is getting more sickly these days, you see."

She pats my head like you would with any kid. It honestly makes me feel warm inside, I swear the duchess is like a small sun that warms everyone around her. Too bad my face is permanently emotionless, so I kind of stay silent as I'm patted on the head...

"Oh yes. Virgil, shouldn't you be in a lesson right now? You shouldn't skip classes even if they're hard. They're for your future!"

She chastised me as you would with any child. Not too strict that you would scare a kid, more like she was trying to teach me what was right and what was wrong and guide me along. I can see why she's beloved by almost everybody she meets.

"Teacher left early to do something..."

"Oh my. It isn't like Valencia to do this. I wonder what happened. I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions, Virgil."

She actually looked conflicted and slightly embarrassed about what she said before. I'm starting to feel guilty myself even though I did nothing wrong. Uwah. Let's just get to the point before I feel bad, I say to myself in my head, almost half-jokingly.

"Actually, could I accompany you on your visit?"

Again, surprised, the duchess was taken aback at first, but then went back to her usual gentle demeanor and expression.

"Of course."

MISSION SUCCESS! I REPEAT! MISSION SUCCESS!

I'm celebrating in my head despite keeping a straight face. The duchess goes over to talk to some servants about arranging me to go on the outing too. I don't really have anything to do, so I just look around and observe the people around me.

The servants are packing some luggage on to the carriage. The duchess is only staying for a few days, so they don't have to pack much. However, it's customary to usually bring presents when you visit someone. That's the majority of what's being packed. The duchess must really love her family.

As I was observing everything around me, I happen to see a little girl stare out the window of the second floor. It's Violet. She seems to be glaring at me... Uwah. If looks could kill. As you would expect from a future villainess.

In the original story, the villainess hated her older stepbrother Virgil. When he was brought into the household, she felt as if he was stealing her parent's attention. When her mother died, she thought it was his fault because her mother died shortly after the appearance of him, like he was a bad luck charm. She grew to hate him and as there was nobody to teach her from right or wrong, with her father drowning himself in work after her mother's death, she started to become more unruly. She became more bratty and spoiled and bullied the servants and her brother.

She was also mad at the heroine in Virgil's route because she didn't want Virgil to be happy and didn't want the heroine to marry into the Deianira family, thinking her "commoner blood" would "taint" the Deianira family's prestige.