Chapter 25: Who Dares to Harm Him

'Drip'

'Drop'

In a quiet and desolate staircase, the only sound that could be heard was the drops of water that hit the stone floor. The twisting staircase seemed like it had no end, as the stone walls gave a sense of claustrophobia. The only light came from the moonlight that peeked in from the windows, the blue hue encapsulating the atmosphere.

In this tall and aged stone tower, moss and vines overgrown, there seemed to be no life within it. It was attached to a big mansion, but the only people that could be heard were the guards on duty, patrolling during the night. It was the dead of the night and no servant nor lord was awake.

Standing guard, a lax man yawned as he nodded in and out of sleep, drowsily.

Unbeknownst to them, a shadowy figure was quickly ascending the stairs, no sound could be heard from their steps, as a black mist dispersed with each step.

Despite the height of the tower, the figure was able to reach the top within seconds. Standing in front of a large wooden door, it was the room at the top of the tower.

Gathering a ball of black mist onto the palm of his right hand, it compressed into the shape of a small dagger.

With a quick and efficient strike that no human eye could make out, the door was shredded to pieces, the guard on the other side of the door carried the same fate. Somehow being able to sense the presence of another entity by the door, they took the route that would be the most efficient.

Although it's best to remain stealthy, this was only an infiltration mission.

Walking into the room, the oil lamp was blown out from the air pressure, the orange light fading from the room. The shadowy figure that was surrounded by a black and ominous mist, hiding his face from view, turned toward the table in the small room. The only other person there was a gaunt man with sunken cheeks, sitting on the floor after falling from his chair. He wore spectacles and papers were strewn about. His face contorted with fear, surprise, and confusion.

"W-who are you?!"

Ignoring the man, the figure crept closer, his footsteps still not making a sound. If someone did not see his feet, they would think he was a ghost, or maybe even a demon.

After a surge of magical power, only a blue glint could be seen from the figure's face as all the papers on the table and floor floated up from the impact. With lightning speed, many different pieces of paper were taken from the air, the remaining ones fallen on the floor.

After checking through one last time, the figure put the papers into his pitch-black coat.

Just as the other man in the room noticed the figure about to leave, he reached out to him, but he was knocked to sleep before being able to even open his mouth.

Walking to the window, the only light source in the room came from the moonlight. Steadying his feet on the window sill, the figure leaped from the window of the top room of the tower.

At the dead of night, no one even noticed as the figure gracefully landed onto nearby trees, a black mist trailing behind him.

The figure took a sigh as the dense mist that surrounded him slowly dissipated.

Surprisingly, the shadowy figure, that had completed an infiltration mission without being detected by anyone in the mansion, was actually a young boy!

He had black hair that gave off a violet hue which reflected in the blue moonlight, and his deep blue eyes that shined like jewels in the shadows were calm and steady. His face forever a stoic expression, and although he had boyish and childish features, he was still visibly handsome and beautiful for his age.