Chapter 6

"What do you mean something happened to Mark?" I asked, a serious tone falling on the scene.

"Well, you know how Mark hates the ocean?"

I nodded.

"After we got our swim trunks and some t-shirts we went over to West Point Beach to look for you. I started joking with him and daring him to go in the ocean..."

"Ethan, what happened?"

"The Gongoozler. It took him."

I almost laughed in his face. The Gongoozler? Really Eef? I mean I know I'm dumb, but come on.

"The Gongoozler took him?" I asked, losing the urgency in my voice.

"Yes! I was egging Mark on, making fun of him because little kids were out swimming and he was too scared. I took it too far though, because eventually his ego got the better of him, and he caved."

"That Mark," I sighed with mock sorrow, "Always having to go Even Further Beyond."

"I'm serious, he's in danger!" Ethan's panic started shifting to anger.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me along with him towards the beach, while explaining further.

"We started competing to see who could last longer in the water. Whoever bailed and swam to shore first lost. He was trying to scare me by telling me creepy facts and stories about the ocean, but honestly I think he just made himself feel worse."

As we briskly walked along the shore I started to become more and more worried at the absence of Mark. Out of all the crazy things that have happened over the course of a day you would think I would believe The Gongoozler was real. But wasn't it just a creature Ethan made up? How could it be real if Ethan was standing here next to me, considering The Gongoozler was Ethan; just playing a character.

"I think the panic started to get to Mark," Ethan continued. "He started, like, hyperventilating and having a harder time swimming. It was scary seeing him like that. I've never seen him act that way before, and that's when I realized..."

We slowed to a halt. Ethan hung his head with a faraway look in his eyes.

"Mark wasn't just scared. Something in the water was messing with him."

"That's crazy, Ethan," I said quietly, but at this point I couldn't even convince myself.

"Here." Ethan handed me a snorkeling bag. "He got this for you at the gift shop, so you wouldn't have to lug your stuff around on the beach. It's waterproof."

Ugh, there go the heartstrings. It was such an unnecessarily thoughtful gift, which made it all the more sweet. With a weak smile I emptied my pockets into the bag, as well as the music box which I wrapped in my sweatshirt to keep safe.

"Okay. So how do we save him?"

"You believe me?" Ethan asked, hopeful.

"Not completely. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole 'Gongoozler' thing. But I believe you that Mark is in trouble. And I want to help."

The Author paused to go get some food before continuing the story.

The Author is now back with chips and salsa, after leaving the characters in suspense. They quietly wish to one day overthrow The Author but for now they continue with the story.

"This is where we were when it happened." Ethan pointed out to sea.

"What exactly did happen?"