Chapter 1

It was a dark and stormy night... Just kidding, it was actually a fair afternoon, partly cloudy, and I was sitting inside on my couch unsure of what to do with myself. The past few months it has felt like something or other was consuming my time. I've been wanting so badly to have a moment to myself to do something I enjoyed for once, but now that I had it, I didn't feel like doing any of the things I normally wanted to.

    Sitting here doing nothing with my precious free-time only made me more stressed out as the kitchen clock tick-tocked away reminding me of every second passing by that I was wasting. The longer I sat, the more motivation I lost to eventually get up.

"Maybe some music will help," I said to myself.

    I had recently moved out on my own into a studio apartment. It was exciting to be out on my own, but the loneliness was something I hadn't foreseen in my decision. I've always been one to enjoy my "me time", but going from living with my family to living alone was a lot different than I had expected. I noticed I've started talking to myself more when I'm home to make the quiet not so loud.

With a disgruntled huff I pushed myself off the couch. Moving around would probably help me feel better but the thought of doing so made me pause and consider flinging myself back onto the couch.

"Starting is the hardest part." I reminded myself, "Now... What to play?"

    I got my speaker ready while scrolling through different playlists, switching back and forth between apps.  Suddenly a song caught my eye.

"I haven't listened to that song since..." My voice trailed off with my train of thought.

    Honestly I don't know why I haven't listened to it. It always used to put me in a silly mood, and I could really use that right now. I guess ever since the channel died a couple months back or so I had just forgotten about it? A part of me felt bad, now realizing how much I had forgotten. In my defense, however, My schedule became busy and I didn't exactly have much time for reminiscing. I had a bad memory to begin with anyway. Enough whining, let's crank some tunes babeyy!

I turn up the music and a smile immediately starts to grow. I can't help but dance around like an idiot and sing along.

"It's the dance of Italy! Woah woah woah!"

I was already in a better mood. The more I danced and sang the memories started to flood back. One memory in particular vividly resurfaced at the sound of someone crashing down the hall outside my apartment. The person slammed into my door making me jump so high I thought I would hit my head against the ceiling. I stumbled to shut the music off. Frozen in fear I listened closely for any clues as to what could be going on out there. It was silent. I tiptoed over to my door and, as quietly as possible, looked out the peep hole. The entire view was filled up by a single bloodshot eye staring back at me. My hands instinctively flew up to cover my mouth so that I didn't let a scream escape. I quickly backed away.

"After Unus Annus is dead, the dance of Italy will be punishable by death"

The words Mark spoke in the last livestream echoed in my head.

Whoever was on the other side of the door began to pound against it. I was scared and didn't know what to do so I ran behind my kitchen counters and unlocked my phone to call my mom. The pounding stopped. My thumb hovered over the call button. I peeked over the counter. Somehow the silence was more unsettling.

My patio furniture toppled over on the balcony behind me with a series of loud crashes. I stood and turned to see what was going on. A man in a black suit hopped around struggling to regain his balance after presumably falling over my things while climbing onto my balcony. Meeting my frightened gaze and realizing he was caught he quickly composed himself, painting a solemn expression on his face and clasping his hands in front of him.

Okay... What was going on?

My mind blanked in shock for a second before my brain cells finally finished rebooting, and I raced over to the balcony door. However, the dude in the suit beat me to it. Before I could lock the latch he pushed open the sliding glass door with a triumphant smirk.

"ah ah ah" He scolded, wagging his finger.

I slowly backed away as he walked forward closing the door behind him. My mouth opened slightly in shock as I really took in his appearance. There was no way this was really happening. There was no way Ethan Nestor was standing in my apartment right now. There was no way I was just standing here staring at him like a complete idiot. Except I was.
He walked past me briskly, headed for the door. I was at a loss for what one is supposed to do in this situation so I just watched him. He opened the door to reveal Mark, dolled up in his white suit, sitting against the wall across from my door.

"Geez man, how long does it take you to get into a second story balcony?" Mark grumbled getting to his feet.

"It's... a second story balcony." Ethan replied flabbergasted.

"Yeah, but there are stairs."

Ethan gave him a confused look.

"The fire escape," Mark said slowly, "Duh."

After a pause Ethan cried out, "You mean to tell me I did all that work for nothing?!"

"Yeah, and you took your sweet time doing it."

I wanted to laugh at their sarcastic banter but I still couldn't get over the current events. They were acting so naturally like they didn't just break into my house and nearly send me into cardiac arrest. Mark walked inside and looked at me with one of his many weird smiles. I waved at him awkwardly.

"Does she speak?" Mark whispered leaning over to Ethan.

"Oh uh yeah... Hi. Sorry I'm just not used to having people break into my house."

"Ah yes. You know why we're here don't you?" Mark mused.

I did know. At least I thought I did. But it seemed too silly to be true so instead I shook my head no.

"To kill you!"