𝖘𝖎𝖝

𝖏𝖚𝖐𝖊 𝖏𝖆𝖒
❝ 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐀 𝐆𝐄𝐓 𝐂𝐑𝐔𝐍𝐊 ❞
𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟔

        𝐓𝐇𝐄 Cat Daddy was shaking the dancefloor, but Amari Anderson had decided to take a break near the bar. The crew been dancing for the last twenty minutes to all the throwback songs that played one after another—he could now definitely see that Reggie had reached his limit too, though he couldn't decipher if it was from the dancing or Naomi's constant encouragement. It was also only then that he'd noticed that Azryah and James had disappeared.

He perched himself on one of the empty stools at the bar. Conversations against the loud music sounded like cacophonous gibberish around him. The night was already in full motion and he wasn't even tipsy yet, so he ordered himself a tequila shot and a cocktail. He backed the shot with no problem, sipping the cocktail as his chaser.

Anderson had never been the biggest drinker, since sobriety was highly important in his job field. Avidly drinking in college deterred him from it when he once got alcohol poisoning; and he still blamed his ex-girlfriend's peer pressure, instead of his lack of will power. But today felt like a cheat day, he'd taken a few days off from work after non-stop, late hours for the last three weeks, so he deserved it.

Attempting to bear the burn down his throat, he failed to notice Renee approaching him. "You just completely disappeared." she started, sliding into the bar stool that someone just got up from. Amari glanced over at her as he sipped along the rim of his glass, he instantly choked on his gulp.

"Gosh, you good?" she chuckled, lightly patting his back. As he tried to compose himself, dabbing at his mouth, he nodded quickly. His nerves had grew just as fast.

"Yeah, I'm good. I just need some liquor in me, even though I'm driving." he answered past the strain in his voice. Renee's brows rose in slight surprise.

"Okay, damn. What happened to the responsible Mars that I always knew?" she cocked her head in his direction and he broke into a grin.

"I like how I am when I'm drunk." he simply replied. He'd certainly have more confidence if he were a little incoherent. Not even an hour ago, the two of them could barely greet each other, the fact that he was even seeming to comfortably engage in conversation with her was even shocking him.

"I hope it ain't chaotic, 'cause we'll be in a predicament when I'm pissed too," she scoffed, causing him to laugh. She ordered herself a vodka lemonade, while Amari tried to drown himself in his alcohol.

Renee took a light sip before she readjusted her seating, she crossed her legs neatly, exaggerating the perfect fitting of her maroon, two-piece jumpsuit. "Aight, I gotta say, we didn't start on the right foot at all when we got here," she started, Amari gazed at her, taking a second to discreetly admire her beauty, "I know we ain't spoken for ages but we're grown and this shouldn't be awkward because of high school bullshit."

"Yeah, I get you," he nodded in agreement. Her eyebrows then knotted expectantly, but Amari didn't move.

"So give me a fucking hug, dumbass." Renee tutted with an eyeroll, opening her arms for him.

Amari's lips grew into a wide grin, grabbing her hand and tugging her from her seat towards him. They molded together like pieces of a puzzle, like they were made for each other. His chin sat on her shoulder, as his grip around her waist tightened, and he sighed contently. It'd been so long since they'd even been this close together—their goodbyes at graduation were a whole other monstrosity—and Amari had soon realized that it was all due to his stubbornness.