𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

𝖏𝖚𝖐𝖊 𝖏𝖆𝖒
❝ 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐄 ❞
𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟖

        𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐏𝐑𝐀𝐘 filled the air, as Naomi Beaumont finished the final touches of her forty-something year old client's silk press. She slowly brushed through the hair with a small comb, fluffing it neatly around her face, as they talked. "I think this press looks real pretty on you, Ms. Lydia." she commented.

"You really think so, it ain't too flashy?" she uneasily replied.

"Nah, you good, girl, you definitely gon' give Pastor Corey whiplash at Sunday's service too." Naomi's employee, Tyra, interjected from her place at the front desk. Her comment led to laughter from the other women in the fully-booked, salon chairs.

Beau Boutique was thriving yet again in its new location, Manhattan, New York City. With a handful of negotiations and arrangements, Naomi was able to open the second branch to her booming business in the East Harlem neighborhood.

After having the conversation at Rollacity two years ago, and taking the opportunity to actually spend time living with Reggie and becoming accustomed to "El Barrio", it set her mind straight that she wanted to continue with her decision. Now, two years later, she was undoubtedly grateful. Making new friends and melting effortlessly into the heavy Latin culture intertwined with Reggie's and her own, she felt like it was a home away from home—as though she'd never left South Side, Chicago.

Despite the fact that she did miss catching up with Azryah every time she came to get her dreads retwisted, or enjoying Amari drone on about his complicated court cases while his skin fade was perfected, she was content with her new chapters of life awaiting her in New York.

As she took pictures of Ms. Lydia and her spectacular job with her hair to post on her Instagram page, the bell chimed in response to the door opening.

Naomi glanced over and smiled grandly at the sight of her boyfriend, Reggie Coleman, and their fifteen month old daughter, Farah, in his arms. She squealed and rushed over to greet them. Farah stretched for her mother as she approached, she took her into her arms and gave her a squeeze.

Reggie softly simpered at the two loves of his life, before Naomi wrapped herself around his neck, placing a peck on his lips. "For someone who hates surprises," she scoffed gently.

"We wanted to come see you, is that so bad?" he replied just as gently into her cheek.

"Oh, I ain't complainin'." she said as she took a look at her curious, little girl—her wide, brown eyes gingerly wandered the interior design of her salon, as she chewed on her soft skin. "I just got done with Ms. Lydia's do, don't she look good, baby?" she turned, allowing Reggie to inspect for himself.

"You look stunning, Ms. L, as always!" he complimented, in which she thanked him shyly, fully transforming into a giddy mess at the shower of appraise.

As everyone took their turns to say their delicate greetings to Farah in the arms of Tyra, Reggie closed in on Naomi cleaning up the hair products. He plonked himself into the chair and stared at his longtime girlfriend through the mirror. "How was today, better?" he started.

"A lil' rocky this morning, but we'll be alright by closing. It's definitely gon' be hard this month until I can find some more staff, but I'm managing, Reg." she explained with a light shrug.

Being short-staffed certainly brought hardships onto any business, after unserious candidates dropped out and were fired due to the lack of commitment needed. It meant that Naomi was breaking her back to keep up with appointments and becoming more efficient at her craft. Reggie hated how stressed it made her, compared to how comfortable she was back in Pullman.