To Mend Both Hearts

~~O~~

The queen stood beside the window of Mirien's room. Every night she would go into her daughter's chamber, cradling her in her arms and curling up with her in the bed. Few days have passed after their return, she and Thranduil never spoke with each other. Neither was she sleeping in their chamber. Mirialia knew Thranduil was still mad at her, and so she gave him and herself some space to be alone.

Gently stroking Mirien's hair, the little elfling slowly opened her eyes and yawned. She looked at her mother and smiled.

"Nana.."

"I'm sorry if I disturbed your sleep." Mirialia whispered softly.

"Are you going to sleep here with me?" the girl asked.

"Yes. I will be here."

Mirien stared at her and suddenly touched her cheek.

"Why are you sad, Nana?"

Mirialia only shook her head and smiled. For now, her daughter was her only companion.

"Ada loves you."

Mirien's words touched her heart.

"Ada told me that when he gave his love to you, a new light was born. And he said the light was me. So don't be sad, Nana. Ada loves you soooo much."

Mirialia wrapped her arms around Mirien as silent tears fell from her eyes. Hearing how her daughter said those words proudly, she wished she would have felt the same after returning from the battle.

Proud.

But instead she felt otherwise. She remembered the day they came back home, and the fight they had on that room.

~~

Thranduil and Mirialia turned to the opening doors of the palace as the guards and maids welcomed them home. Amariel immediately hugged the queen and asked if she was alright, but Mirialia only let out a small smile. The Elvenking simply walked past them.

No matter how hard the staff tried, there was no way to hide the fact that the king and queen were not in good terms with each other. The mood of the palace changed, hope and depression warred openly in the corridors, even when no one said anything. It could be seen in everyone's eyes, the way they walked, and how they did their duties. The royal couple never spoke, though they welcomed home Legolas warmly.

Galion looked at the king. The sad look on his face and the compassion that outlined his eyes said it all even before he shook his head.

"Don't start, Galion." was all Thranduil said as he headed to his chamber.

The butler walked to the queen, bowed and quietly left. He went to his office to clear the royal schedule for the next few days. He met with Glauron and suggested to prepare some of their favorite food, send for the musicians and update the list of events in the kingdom that they could distract themselves with.

Thranduil turned to the window. The thought of having someone taking his wife's life was too terrible. It would mean death for anyone who dared to do such an act. Just like what he did to Grimmond.

He looked over his shoulder as he heard her enter the room. Mirialia stood a few feet away from him.

"I know you are mad at me," she started. "you can do whatever you want, whatever you wish."

"Why did you not come home when I ordered to?"

"Because I do not want to go back home while people die out there." Mirialia hated having to say that, but it was the truth. "Why did you keep that plan from me?"