The Tournament

Here's the next chapter...

~~O~~

"My lady, no elleth is allowed to join the tournament." Nauriel worriedly said, upon hearing her shocking plan.

"It is strictly for male elves." Lenneth quickly added.

Though a little hesitant, the queen insisted on her plan.

"I will still join." She said.

The elf maidens exchanged worried looks, the queen's move was unexpected.

"My lady, if you join in, they will know." Nemiriel said.

"Then they should not recognize me." Mirialia replied. "I should wear a cover, a mask."

Suddenly, another female voice spoke in the shadows.

"Take this with you."

It was Amariel. She threw a bronze helmet at her, which Mirialia caught and held onto her chest.

"Lady Amariel." The maidens bowed.

"I should have worn that. Like you, I also wanted to join the tournament before." the elder said.

"But what made you decide not to do it?" Mirialia asked.

Amariel walked towards her and cupped her cheek.

"I was carrying a child." She smiled. "Just remember what I've told you, make sure you will not get caught."

"Thank you. You have always been so kind." Mirialia wrapped her arms around her.

"I see myself in you." Amariel whispered softly.

"So, what's on your mind?" Nauriel asked. "Are you planning to finish the tournament?"

"No." Mirialia shook her head. "I have no intention of doing that. If an ellon will be able to defeat me, I am fine with it. I just want to see how far my skills can go."

"What do you want us to do?" Nemiriel inquired.

"I need a battle dress, Nauriel." Mirialia ordered.

"An ellon's armor." the maiden said. "I think I have one for you."

"Oh! Oh!" Lenneth raised her hand. "I will think of an ellon's name for you."

The queen chuckled lightly. "Thank you, Lenneth."

Mirialia breathed a sigh of relief and stood from her chair, stretching her arms above her head.

"Has your absence been noticed?" the elder asked.

"Not yet. I made sure no guards were around as I slipped away from my room." She replied.

"Good, good." Amariel nodded. "There is much to do, too much to plan anything more tonight."

Around the table, there were nods of agreement; the others were as weary and tired as the Queen, seeking and longing for their beds.

"Then if there's nothing else, I will bid you all goodnight. Sleep well, my friends."

~~O~~

As the sun rises high in the sky over King Thranduil's land, Mirialia stood at a window overlooking the palace gardens. A dark blue cloak draped over her shoulders, and she rested one hand against the glass, bracing herself. It's the day everyone was waiting for. In the gardens below, she saw a group of elleth as they hurried to the place where the tournament will be held.

"Are you ready, my queen?" Nauriel's hand rested on her shoulder.

"Yes."

They made their way around a curve in the hall, creeping from shadow to shadow, dodging out of the way of servants and others. Even if they were sighted, others would not think their presence unusual. If stopped or questioned, they had ready a lie that would probably -- pass muster.