-34-

Chapter Thirty Four

Yesterday, Clay informed me that we were going somewhere special tomorrow, which would be today technically. He didn't explain any further what exactly we were doing, just that I could wear anything I wanted. He always tells me that. When we went on our first date, when he asked me out, when I met his parents for the first time. Any scenario possible, he'd tell me I'm gorgeous in hoodies and sweats.

It was a bit chilly in Florida. At least for Floridians it was. I decided to wear a crewneck sweater that had a polar bear on it. I picked it up on a thrifting adventure with Karl. I wore a white collared shirt under it. Then, I sat on the floor of Clay's bedroom debating whether to wear a white tennis skirt or some corduroy cuffed pants. Clay exited the bathroom at that moment and stared at me on the floor.

"What're you doing?" He chuckled.

"Okay, don't give me the 'you'll look good in anything' crap. Should I wear the skirt or the pants?"

He looked from the skirt to the pants to me. Then he kneeled down and pointed to the pants, "Not to spoil anything for the day, but I think you'll find that the pants will be more appealing for the activity we're doing."

I raised my eyebrows, "Alright. No need to be cryptic."

He walked out of the room to give me time to change. I changed into the pants, rolled the ends up, and tied some vans onto my feet. I was wearing ankle length polar bear socks as well to match with the sweater. I had decided to French braid my hair last night, so I kept the messy braids in as I didn't feel like doing my hair.

"You look so good!" He exclaimed when I entered the living room.

"Thanks Clay," I couldn't help but smile, "You look pretty."

"Thanks, I try," he responded, "You ready?"

I nodded my head and grabbed his hand while following him out of the house. He decided he wanted to drive Sam today. I didn't mind; the only negative thing about them is the radio. However, I got Clay a little present to fix that issue.

"I got you something," I grinned.

"You did?" His eyes lit up.

"It's small, and probably pointless, but yeah. Here," I handed him a tiny box that I had gotten from the trunk of my car before buckling into his passenger seat.

He opened the box and picked up the tiny bluetooth FM transmitter. It was a device that plugged into the cigarette lighter receptacle and allowed a person to play their own music through the car's radio. I had one in one of my older cars a few years back and it was a life saver. I showed Clay how to use it, then connected to it myself and played our playlist from my Spotify.

"Thank you, I love it," he replied, reaching over the console to give me a sweet kiss. We linked our hands together and rested them on the middle console while we drove to wherever.

I decided not to question where he was taking us as I didn't want to ruin the surprise or seem annoying. In the end, it was a secret for a reason. It only took a twenty minute drive before we parked in a parking lot. There were no buildings around us; it was just some trees and paths. I smiled as I could already assume what we were doing.

"You ready?"

I nodded and as I was grabbing my mask in case we needed one, he had walked to the other side of the car and opened my door for me. He grabbed my hand and helped me out of the car. I looked at him and promptly shook my head.

"Can you stop acting so chivalrous? It's gonna make me cry. Like, push me to the floor or something, I don't know."

He wheezed, "I'm not going to push you!"