-27-

Chapter Twenty Seven

    Clay left to go back home about three months ago. We rushed our goodbye and didn't say much because he didn't like long goodbyes. We've talked on FaceTime almost every day though, or at least sent a "good morning, I'm busy today but just letting you know that I'm not ignoring you" type text to let the other know that we're okay.

    I had a plan to go visit him in Florida a month after, but my car broke down two weeks after he left and I haven't been able to do anything. We wanted to try to see each other once a month. Karl's been driving me around if I need to go get groceries and stuff or if I just need to get out of the house for a little bit. He's been a real MVP for the past three months. I didn't even ask him to do this, he offered himself. I love Karl, he's so sweet.

    "Karl I'm so sorry—" I started as I hopped in his car.

    "Cal, stop apologizing every time you get in the car," he laughed, "You couldn't help your car breaking down."

    "I know, I just feel bad—"

    "Hey," he looked over at me from the driver's seat, "I wasn't doing anything important. I'm not just going to say no to taking you grocery shopping. I'm happy to help."

    Karl is the only one that lives around me; our houses are five minutes away from each other. I knew he lived in North Carolina from Sapnap, but we found out we lived in the same college town. I've tried not to ask too often as I don't want to be too much of a burden, but sometimes he just randomly pulls into my driveway and tells me we're going on a ride. I'm so appreciative to have him in my life though. I can't afford to get a new car because of the bills I have to pay on top of tuition and helping my mum pay for her medical bills and rent as she got laid off during covid and hasn't been able to find a new job due to health issues.

    "I just—"

    "I love grocery shopping!" Karl interrupted me. I just burst out laughing, "D'you mind if we take a quick pitstop before? I have to stop at the office to help Jimmy with something."

    I nodded, "Of course, Karl."

    I've never met Jimmy despite being so close to Karl. I believe I've texted him once before when he was trying to get ahold of Dream while he was in North Carolina. However, I didn't go with Clay when he went to spend time with MrBeast.

    When we pulled into the back lot of the office, Karl asked me to come in with him. I didn't question it and left the car immediately. At this point, I felt so bad for constantly asking Karl for things that I would probably jump off a bridge if he asked me to. Personally, I felt so indebted to Karl despite him saying that I didn't owe him anything. Just a friend helping a friend as he puts it. I haven't helped him at all I feel. There was only one time I can remember helping him at the same level as him helping me. During MCC one time, his internet went down and the moderators gave him a five minute break to sort it out. Despite us being on different teams, I invited him over to use my internet so he wasn't at a disadvantage to lose. Afterwards, we celebrated together when he won his second MCC.

    "Jimmy, this is my friend I was telling you about!" Karl exclaimed, his arm draped over my shoulder as we approached him and the other boys in the room.

    "Cal, hi! We've texted before, I believe," Jimmy said, reaching out his hand to shake mine. I took his in mine and shook it gently.

    "Yeah we have," I smiled, looking around the room.

    "Karl has been telling me about your car issues," he started. I immediately gave Karl the side eye and he darted away to go talk to Chandler, "How would you like to compete to win a Tesla? We had a contestant drop out."