Chapter 16

ℤ𝕒𝕟𝕖

Jen, Ava, and Deb sit down in a booth while Kami and I wait for our order at the counter. The midnight crowd at the burger shop is practically nonexistent—besides our group, there's just one couple sitting in the corner.

"Did you see Hannah's face?" Jen squeals. "I swear she turned eight shades of red. I'm honestly shocked she and Tess didn't throw down."

Ava and Jen laugh among themselves.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Jen quite so happy.

"That was the most entertaining reunion I've ever been to," Kami says, leaning up against the wall and smirking.

"I have to agree," I say. "Although it's the only one I've ever been to. Thanks for the advice, by the way. I think it went well."

"Well, I told you not to say you were unemployed, I didn't tell you to charm the mean girl into spilling her guts to the crowd. Honestly, I'm kind of disappointed I didn't, that was a brilliant idea. I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time."

I chuckle and glance back at Ava and Jen.

"I think you made Jen's night," Kami adds. "Although I'm not sure Deb had quite as much fun."

Jen's roommate—and ex—Deb isn't usually much of a talker anyway, but tonight she has been particularly quiet. Ava and Jen are both laughing their arses off, but Deb seems to be staring off into space, looking dejected. As I watch, she stands up and shuffles out of the booth before stepping outside.

"She a friend of Tess?" I ask.

"I doubt it," Kami says. "I think she's just got other things on her mind."

"Other things?"

I'm not sure exactly what she's getting at. Deb seemed to disappear for most of the night, only rejoining us at the end.

"Men are so clueless," she says with an eye roll. "I'm just saying, I got the impression she wished I wasn't there."

I open my mouth to respond but we're interrupted by a loud group of men walking in and stepping up to the counter. They seem to be pretty intoxicated and are wearing dress shirts and slacks with loosened ties around their necks. Since we're just down the street from the high school, I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the reunion too.

One of the men proceeds to order for the group while the others laugh and joke at a volume best reserved for heavy metal concerts.

"Little Avaaa Reeeynoolds!" one of the men shouts, taking a couple of tipsy steps toward her table. I feel my chest rise and my muscles tense. "I used to get high with your brother behind the bathrooms by the basketball courts. Where's Dylan at, anyway?"

"Not here," she says loudly. "Sorry."

She turns to Jen to continue their conversation and the man scoffs but seems to let it go, returning to his group beside us.

"Bitch," he mumbles under his breath. Before I have a chance to respond, he locks his eyes onto Kami and walks up.

Perfect, this man is clearly going to get himself killed without my help.

"Hey babe!" he says. "Were you at the reunion? I'm pretty sure I'd remember you."

Kami rolls her eyes and laughs.

"Daaammnnn..." his friend says, eying her up and down as he too stalks closer.

"Wow!" she says with a sarcastic drawl. "I can't believe I've attracted not one—but two—of Port Charlotte's most eligible wasted douchebags! I'm honored!"