Chapter 8

𝔸𝕧𝕒

I awkwardly make my way through the doorway on crutches with two restaurant staffers in tow.

Zane asked me to bring Daniella, a petite chef with a blonde pixie cut, and Eric, a waiter with tan skin and black spiky hair. I'm not really sure why he needed these two specifically, but there wasn't a lot of time for questions.

"Wait here," I say to them as I hobble toward the bedroom.

I stop in the doorway and both Zane and Kieran look my way. Their body language is odd and stiff and they both look at me with the same gaping expression.

"Um... I brought Daniella and Eric, they're in the kitchen. Should I bring them in here?" I ask, unsure why they're staring at me like I've got snakes for hair.

Zane blinks at me for a moment, seeming to forget the relative urgency of the situation. I look around for Jen but don't immediately see her.

"Where's Jen?" I ask.

That seems to snap Zane out of his daze and he shakes his head, jumping up from the edge of the bed.

"Jen fainted," he says, walking to the other side of the bed and lifting up an unconscious Jen in his arms. "I think she just got overwhelmed. Can you look after her while I deal with Kieran?"

I nod as he carries Jen into the living room and sets her down on the sofa. I sit down on the loveseat beside her.

"Daniella, Eric," he says to our two guests. "You two remember Kieran, right? Come with me..."

He leads them back to the bedroom and closes the door behind them. I look to Jen, who seems to be sleeping soundly.

After a minute, Zane emerges from the bedroom and sits down beside me. He sighs and combs his fingers through his hair, sweeping a few messy strands out of his face.

"Have you called an ambulance?" I ask, and his eyes raise to meet mine.

He traces my shape as if he's analyzing me, trying to solve a puzzle of some sort.

"Daniella and Eric are..." He pauses, pinching his lips together in thought. "They both know Kieran and they will take care of him. He'll be fine."

"Do they have some sort of medical training or something?"

"They have, uh..." he says, chuckling a bit. "Kieran has special health issues that those two are both qualified to handle."

A high-pitched moan comes from the bedroom and my head snaps in that direction.

"Are they doing... what I think they're doing?" I ask, my face contorting in disgust.

Zane smirks and cringes simultaneously.

"It's complicated," he says. "Don't overthink it—he'll be fine."

I keep going back and forth between thinking these people are totally normal and almost certainly in the mob. People showing up with massive injuries and refusing to go to the hospital is firm evidence in the mob column.

Not really sure what kind of mob uses high-end restaurant workers as doctors, though. That is—if what they're doing in there is doctoring.

Eww.

I turn back to Zane, whose eyes are still locked on me.

What are you staring at? Is there something on my face?

"Have you remembered anything?" he asks.

"I uh... I'm not sure..."

How do you even know if your memory is coming back or if you're just reminded of something that had been stored away in your brain?