Chapter 9

𝔸𝕧𝕒

Zane hovers above me, his arms on either side of my torso. His eyes widen and his lips part slightly in shock.

"You... you remember that?" he asks.

"Um... yeah," I say, suddenly feeling a little bashful. "I guess when we kissed it brought some things back."

There's a slight ringing in my ears and pressure in my head as more images flash into my mind: My apartment. The doctor's office. Jen. The Pike. A rooftop.

"Whoa..." I say, letting out a heavy breath.

"Are you okay?" he asks. "What happened? Are you feeling sick?"

"I think I just remembered more."

He blinks slowly while he remains otherwise frozen.

"I felt something with you that I hadn't felt in a really long time," I hear his voice say in my mind.

The ringing in my ears becomes louder, the pressure increasing.

"Ava?" Zane says softly, stroking my cheek with his fingertips.

"I'm okay," I say, pinching my eyes shut.

He pulls back and rolls to the side so that he's lying beside me.

A barrage of images enters my mind, one after another.

My apartment. The hospital. A flicker of green eyes in the dark.

"I want you."

My eyelids pinch tighter.

"You're about to get what you want, baby."

Okay then—wow—that's a very graphic one.

My eyes shoot open.

"Are you... okay?" he asks. "What... what are you remembering?"

A smile begins to form at the corner of his lips, as if he could tell what I was thinking.

Before I can respond, more memories flicker in my vision: Zane's apartment. The bowling alley. Giant. Black. Wings.

Okay, it's official—I'm losing my mind.

"I-... I don't... understand," I mumble, massaging my temple with my fingers. I back up and lean against the headboard.

"Baby, what's wrong?" he asks. "Talk to me."

As I open my mouth to speak, more memories fog my mind and overwhelm my senses. Words, moments, and emotions hit me like waves, crashing through me.

I feel myself being pulled toward oblivion and stars begin to form in my peripheral vision. I know this feeling well—I'm about to lose consciousness.

Zane's voice echoes in my mind as I fade into the darkness.

"I can live without my wings. I can't live without you."

*****

Low voices bicker in the distance as I slowly pry my eyes open.

I feel like I've slept for a thousand years.

Kami is sitting in a chair beside the bed with her legs crossed while she peruses a magazine.

"Hey there, sleeping beauty!" she says with a smile, setting her magazine down.