2: Everything has a video

Start from the beginning

"Why do you do it?"

He grins, yellow teeth flashing,

"Information is worth a shit ton."

I give him a quick once over,

"Do I need to pay?"

He shakes his head,

"It's a favor for Kourish."

I open the contacts in my phone,

"Do you have a number that I could contact?"

He fishes out a brown stained card and thrusts it at me. I copy the number on it down into my phone.

His beady eyes stay fixed on me,

"I'd stop here if I were you."

It's his third warning. It crosses my mind that he may also be involved, in some way. There is a tinge of fear, so I nod,

"Yeah I think I will. We have to trust our legal system."

He arches a skeptical brow and I wonder for a moment if I have laid it on too thick.

He mumbles something about 'yeah sure' as I leave.

I curl up on my couch and type in the MTO web address. I fill out the request form for the license plate and pay the $18.00. In a few days I should get the owner's name, vehicle description, validation sticker number, and permit information including permit number, date of issue, and status.

It takes 2 fucking weeks. 

The name it is registered under is Mick Garcia. I go to the court clerk's office and search their files for a Mick Garcia with any criminal background. Nothing comes up.

I sit down across from one of the data organizers in the coffee shop for the court clerk's office. She is an older woman. I try to pay attention to her long story about her new son in law, but I'm itching to ask.

Eventually I lean forward when she trails off with a laugh,

"Hey I was wondering if you have access to the sealed records."

Knowing full well she does. She smiles around her hot cocoa,

"I sure do honey, why, you need me to look into someone?"

I feel the tension bleed out of me,

"Only if you are comfortable doing so. I don't want to put you in a weird position."

She waves me off,

"Don't you worry sugar- you have every right to sealed records when they involve your case."

I try to keep my face neutral. What the fuck am I doing? To find the truth is it really work breaking the law? Abusing the small amount of power I possess? I hate that I don't want to stop myself. She ponders me for a moment,

"It is for a case right?"

I give her a smile and then a slight sigh,

"Yep. It's just such a bother going through the official papers."

She groans and nods,

"I know sometimes it can take months. Just give me the name and I'll get it."

I fight to keep my grin down,

"Mick Garcia."

The file is slim. I only open it when Ana has gone home. He got out of federal 5 years ago. He went in for affiliation with the Bonnano crime family in Quebec, Montreal, and Ontario. He got a reduced sentence though and pretty lenient charges for first degree murder.