[14] Ivypool

Ivypool gazed at Blossomfall talking to Icewing before forcing herself to focus.

"It'll be you and me next." Thornclaw told Birchfall who nodded in acknowledgement as he was muttering and counting to himself. The older tom turned to continue eyeing the flooded thunderpath.

Ivypool saw Dovewing and Tigerheart pressed together, their tails linked.

"You can't run with your tails intertwined you know." She snorted.

The two cats awkwardly moved apart.

"Ivypool." concentrate. Thornclaw snapped.

All five cats flinched as a blue monster passed them. Ivypool grew more and more frightened, her fur bristling. Birchfall noticed her distress.

"You'll be fine." He assured her.

In that moment she was transported back to those days in the nursery. She remembered being scared by nightmares from an elder's story and Birchfall comforting her. Those days when everything was all sunrays and nothing mattered.

Snapping back to reality she blinked. "Thanks."

His gaze jerked up. "Go! Go now!" The three cats took off.

Tigerheart and Dovewing ran as Ivypool overtook them. She spotted a small pothole and narrowly dodged it as a red flash caught her eye.

Is that a monster?

Hopefully it was further than she imagined.

Ignoring the burning sensation against her feet as her paws hit wet grass, she leapt over and landed on the slope, digging her claws into the mud as she. She flailed in panic but then someone grabbed her scruff.

"I've got you!" Blossomfall mumbled.

Ivypool relaxed as Blossomfall hauled her up.

"Thank you!" She silver and white feline stammered.

"Anytime!" She shyly smiled.

Tigerheart pushed Dovewing up before following her. Tigerheart shook his scarred pelt as Ivypool licked her scraped pad, gagging at the taste of blood and gravel.

"What's taking them so long?" Breezepelt growled.

Gazing over she saw Thornclaw and Birchfall talking. It seemed like the golden tabby was trying to persuade the younger tom to do something. Even from here she could see her father shaking his head.

Thornclaw crouched and heard Birchfall yelling for him to run. The golden tom hurried across and leaping across the ditch.

"I thought he was coming with you!" Ivypool said.

"He told he it'll be easier if I go first." He answered.

Soon all of their eyes were on Birchfall. A few more monsters roared past. Soon he broke into a run. All the cats yelled in encouragement. Birchfall's gaze jerked up to eye his companions. His body suddenly jolted and he crashed to the ground.