[16] Applefur

Applefur blinked her green eyes open and stretched, digging her claws into the feathers that made up her bed. Gazing around she spotted the other cats waking up before her eyes fell on an empty nest.

Applefur's heart throbbed as she sighed, she missed her friend's presence.

He'll be with his mother now.

"Good morning!" Stoneteller greeted them cheerfully. "Did you all have a good rest?"

Several cats nodded or mumbled in reply, some getting to their paws.

"Would you like to join a hunting patrol?" He offered

Applefur's stomach gnawed at her insides at the mention of prey. "I'd love to!"

Other cats perked up and agreed while others shook their heads slowly blinking their sleepy eyes.

"Well, we can't take all of you." The grey cat chuckled. "Some of you can go back to sleep of perhaps talk to the others. Half of you can go with Screech and Gray, the rest of you can join Brook and Storm."

Applefur got up to join the brown she-cat along with several others. Gazing back at the cats still sitting or laying down she could spot Birchfall's kits still laying down, eyes clouded with grief.

Poor things

Brook and Storm lead the group across the cave. Applefur could feel the Tribe cat's fascinated and suspicious gazes against her fur. She squinted her green eyes as the sun shone through the gaping mouth and light glittered in the waterdrops.

They pushed their way through the waterfall and the two cats lead them to a patch of mud. Brook and Storm immediately started rolling in it, oblivious to the baffled look of the ex clan cats.

"Come on." Brook beckoned with a mud-covered tail. "You need to camouflage yourselves."

The patrol exchanged glances. Applefur and Thornclaw took their first steps in. She heard Thornclaw gasp in shock of the cold sludge and saw him freeze up. Applefur hesitantly rolled in the dirt ignoring the sensation of the frigid muck pressing against her skin.

She rolled back over and immediately got back to her paws. Storm nodded in approval and Applefur's companions still had their befuddled expressions.

"Its not as bad as it looks!" Applefur lied through gritted teeth.

Minnowtail, Ratscar and Furzepelt stepped in, quickly coating themselves in mud before heading back up to solid ground.

"Let's go!" Storm guided them along a rocky path against the outer cave wall. The trail slopes downhill and the cats reach an area of flat ground.

The cats hid under a ridge of rock and Larkwing's eyes gleamed as she spotted the several rabbit holes nearby. As the molly dropped into a hunting crouch but Storm brushed a grey tail along the scarred cats shoulder.

"Stop." He ordered. "We're hunting eagles."

"Eagles?" Furzepelt spluttered.

"Eagles!" Larkwing's eyes widened in amazement.

He raises his chin and following his blue gaze the cats spotted an eagle circling overhead.

"So what do we do?" Thornclaw asked.

"We use a cat of bait, I'll do that bit." He explained. "Once the eagle flies down the rest you pile on and drag it down. Eagle hunting is extremely dangerous but I trust Brook to keep you in check."

The brown she-cat flicked her ear. "Thank you Storm, good luck."

The younger cat slipped out of hiding and padded across the plain, pretending to sniff at a rabbit burrow.

The eagle caught sight and as soon as its wing twitched Brook darted out. "Go, go!"

In that moment Applefur was transported back to when they crossed the road and Birchfall being struck by the monster. A chill ran down her spine but she forced her legs into motion.

The eagle swooped down, wings outstretched and talons ready. Storm darts out the way as the bird's claws snatched at empty air.

Brook was the first to grab the bird, digging her claws into its wing as the eagle tried to flap higher. It let out a shriek as Larkwing hooked its tail feathers. Other cats piled on and Applefur herself caught onto a wing. The bird was pulled to its ground, brown wings flailing as Brook shoved its head into the thin layer of snow.

"Snap its neck!" She yelled frantically.

Larkwing bit down on its neck, there was a crack and it lay still.

The patrol cheered and shouted, clambering off the prey. Applefur gazed in shock at the creature, this terrifying thing was taken down by them.

"That's so much food!" Thornclaw remarked, the tom's usual steady voice was full with excitement. "How do we carry it back?"

"We just drag it." Brook explained.

Larkwing carried the eagle's neck while Ratscar dragged one wing while Thornclaw took another. Brook took its tail.

"I'll stay with the others." Storm told the other Tribe cat flicking his tail towards the other cats who were gazing keenly at the moor. "They seem like they want to hunt rabbits."

"Of course!" The older cat waved her tail in farewell, leading the cats carrying the eagle away.

"Theres no more eagles. We're all clear." He led them across the heather. Before sitting the three cats down. "We'll catch a piece of prey each, tonight will be a feast!"

Furzepelt's eyes gleamed.

Applefur waved her tail frantically as she spotted a mountain hare.

"You." He beckoned to Furzepelt. "Can you chase it into her claws?" He then faced Minnowtail.

"What do I do?" Minnowtail asked.

"Try to sneak around it." The tribe cat replied. "Stay low."

Hesitantly she crouched down and quietly stalked around, the hare didn't reach, chewing on some grass.

She faced the others but Applefur could tell she wasn't fully there but Storm didn't notice. He indicated to Furzepelt who darted across the grass. The hare immediately scrambled into a run.

"Minnowtail!" The grey and white she-cat yelled as it sped into the other molly's unseathed paws.

The darker cat snapped into focus and fumbled with the prey but it broke free and dove down a nearby hole. Storm and Applefur ran over.

"Is everything alright?" Furzepelt asked. "You seemed unfocused."

"I'm fine." Minnowtail answered.

"The hares are gone..." Storm mumbled, he quickly continued as the dark grey molly ducked her head with embarrassment. "Don't worry, we can always hunt something else."

The patrol headed further across the moor.