Chapter Thirty-Eight: Like You

Start from the beginning

"I vill make sure mein ozher shelf finds jou. But from now on -- I vant jou to do better zhan zhis", Richtofen whispered as he buried his face in her hair. Kiana lifted her free arm and wrapped it around his waist. Richtofen's words echoed hauntingly - he actually wanted her to stop him.

"If jou know how zhis shtory goes - like jou claim - zhen jou should know exactly vhere I vill go und vhat I vill do", Richtofen said condescendingly as his words rotted with doubt. He had never believed Kiana's claims. Everything she said could be explained rationally, he told himself. How could a man of science believe such nonsense? There were limits to what was possible.

Parallel universes were one thing. But having someone claim that they were from a universe where you existed as a mere fictional story was something entirely different. Her universe seemed to exist completely outside of his own, and to him, that simply wasn't possible. Of course, he knew the others would believe her. He was the only one who remained level-headed whilst the rest allowed themselves to be deceived. They were men after all - it took a man of exceptional discipline to not succumb to a woman's spell.

But Kiana knew. She was capable of navigating the tangled thorns of his mind. And she knew that Richtofen was running from the truth. No matter what or how much evidence she could show him; it would still result in denial and dismissal. He could not accept that his grand scheme was just a story. Or that the promise of ascension was a lie.

"I vill undershtand if jou cannot meet zhe challenge. Zhere is no need to be hard on jourshelf", Richtofen whispered which snapped Kiana from her thoughts. She felt his arms recede as his body pulled away. He walked over to his desk and pulled papers before putting them in his pocket.

"I am not going to make it so easy for jou", Richtofen sang with a smile - indicating to the papers. He turned away as he prepared to leave.

"Why are you hiding from the truth... Edward?" Kiana whispered, causing Richtofen to flinch as he finally heard her call him by his first name. His body softened as he turned to look back at her before he shook the infatuation from his eyes - replacing the look with disdain.

"Jou come here, jou zhink jou can just put a shpanner in zhe vorks... jou zhink jou can charm me und use jour femininity to distract me. Jou vomen are all zhe same. So many great men have fallen to jour vays -- BUT I VILL NOT BECOME VONE OF ZHEM!" Richtofen raised his voice before he became encased in the electric mist - leaving Kiana shackled and alone.

Richtofen emerged from the stage teleporter and flung himself back into the carnage of the undead. He unloaded the magazine of his MP40 into the gnashing hordes as the adrenaline of anger sped through his veins. Primis had stayed by the teleporter waiting for Kiana before lunging and ambushing Richtofen when he realised she wasn't there.

"Vhere is she?!" Primis growled as his eyes widened in horror. Richtofen smiled before gesturing to the teleporter.

"Jou vill have to vait until it recharges und shee for jourshelf", Richtofen sneered with a malicious grin. The colour drained from Primis' face as he fell to his knees in shock. Richtofen looked down at him before walking behind and striking him. His body slumped against the teleporter as Richtofen walked away with cold calculating eyes.

The others had made it to the lobby to leave through the main entrance. As they struggled to hold their ground they breathed a sigh of relief upon finally seeing Richtofen walking toward them. But that relief quickly changed to panic and worry when Kiana and Primis were nowhere to be seen.

"Where are they?!" Dempsey demanded as Richtofen ignored him and continued walking. He stopped at the barricaded doors before announcing the group's commands.

"Ve musht leave now! Mein patients are going to overrun us if ve shtay any longer!" Richtofen commanded. Dempsey unholstered his secondary pistol before making a beeline and grabbing Richtofen.

"WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO, FREAK?! WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER?!" Dempsey's voice cracked as the panic in his voice overwhelmed him. Richtofen laughed and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Oh, I didn't kill her -- or Primis. Zhey shimply succumbed mein patients", Richtofen sniggered callously. Dempsey looked up at him in horror as his eyes welled up.

"How could you? HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO HER?" Dempsey cried as the tears ran down his face. Richtofen smiled - clearly enjoying Dempsey's pain.

"Oh, Dempshey. I did everyzhing I could. I'm only vone man", Richtofen replied sarcastically which angered Dempsey. As Dempsey stood glaring at Richtofen; he eyed the gun in his hand.

"Oh, ja. Shoot me right now und shee how long jou survive!" Richtofen goaded Dempsey with brazen confidence.

"Jou could shtay und try und find vhat is left of zhem zhough... I don't care vhether jou come vith us, American", Richtofen hissed with pure venom. Dempsey stood trembling with anger before Richtofen leaned forward.

"Jou know how much I vould love to shee mein patients tear zhe flesh from jour bones", Richtofen whispered with deranged eyes.

"Dempsey, we have to go! There is no use in us all dying!" Takeo interrupted pragmatically. Richtofen smirked at Dempsey as he finally relented and the men turned to leave.

They tore through the remaining barriers and ran out onto the street. They needed Richtofen to survive - and, as usual, he obliged. He loved the power he had over their lives. How he could toy with Dempsey and still have his unwavering cooperation. The power he weilded over the lives of others was as intoxicating as Bacchus' wine. And it was something he never wanted to give up.

Over the next month, they fought their way through Samantha's hordes as they journeyed through the ruins of Germany.

End of part thirty-eight...