Chapter Two: A Strange Night

It felt like an eternity before we reached the door to Richtofen's office as we navigated endless winding corridors and stairwells. Richtofen's boots clicked on the metal edge of the stairs as he reached the landing. We took a right through double doors which lead to a corridor lined with doors on both sides. There was debris and paperwork strewn everywhere along with the odd splatterings of blood on the walls and doors. Each door appeared to have a nameplate although some were missing theirs. I tried to read as many names as I could as I passed before my eyes landed on one embossed nameplate in particular which read: 

"Dr Sophia Ziegler".

"Is that really Sophia?!" I wondered. The next name I found read "Dr Tobias Schuster" although part of the plate was severely cracked. The rest were either illegible or completely missing. As we neared the end of the corridor there were two doors left. Richtofen turned to the door on his right as I looked around him to see the name on the other; and as I suspected, the plate read "Dr Ludvig Maxis". Surprisingly, Richtofen's name plate remained unblemished unlike the rest.

Richtofen nudged the handle of his office door with his elbow causing it to creak open. The room became bathed in light after a nudge of the light switch as I drank in the room. A large oak desk stood proud on the left half of the room near the windows. The right half was outlined by cluttered bookshelves, cabinets filled with various drugs and boxes of medical supplies. Near a cupboard door on the right side wall sat a makeshift medical table. The door lay ajar and I was able to make out the shapes of various boxes which likely housed paperwork and supplies.

My heart sank as I eyed the cabinet containing various needles, syringes and vials of unknown substances. Above the counters were different tools all hung on hooks which resembled those used in interrogations. The sink nearby looked rotten with aged blood crusted onto the sides and residual trails of blood had dripped down the outside of the bowl. Richtofen really did pride himself in his ability to extract whatever information he desired from his victims. He even had his tools proudly on display.

My attention was brought back to Richtofen as he was about to lower me down onto the crude table before I requested to sit on a nearby chair which I suddenly spotted. He eyed it before reluctantly agreeing, however, he kicked it towards the desk before allowing me to rest in the chair.

"Vhat vere jou doing? Playing with electricity?" The doctor remarked as he towered over me while examining my arm. I tried my best to remain stoic as his face frowned in deep concentration whilst he traced the burn marks. I stayed silent in the face of his question as he then walked to sit behind the desk. I felt light with relief now that the distance grew between me and the doctor. Maybe I could run to the door before he could get to me I thought as I hurriedly tried to figure out a possible escape. He narrowed his eyes.

"I can shee zhe cogs turning. Zhere is no vay jou'll be able to out run me. Und zhe vindows? Ve are on zhe third floor. I'm afraid if jou vant any chance of leaving jou'll have to answer my questions." He said matter-of-fact.

I could feel his eyes piercing through me until I relented and conceded to his questioning. Richtofen sat back in his large office chair as he sunk into the soft leather.

"Ahh, jou are much more clever zhan I zhought!" Richtofen sang before continuing.

"Zhough...I vould have enjoyed hearing jour delicious cries of agony had jou refused..."

A shiver ran up my spine as I tried to keep a neutral face and hide how disturbed I truly was by his words. Richtofen, on the other hand, was busy savouring the thought before composing himself. I felt physically sick watching him; in fact, I felt nauseous at his mere existence.