Chapter 17: Eat and Yeet

Eat and Yeet. What it says on the can.

Content Warning: Mentions of kink (damn it Crosshair)

-------------------------------------------

The silence stretching between us was... awkward to say the least.

At least it was silent though, and thankfully Tech had not pressed the... sensitive topic. I cursed myself, however, for now Crosshair knew what got under my skin and that did not bode well for me.

What about if Tech asks again? You know that man is inquisitive. Besides... he's interested in the topic, clearly.

Yeah, no. This isn't a smut story.

Unless...

There is no ' unless ' to be had .

My internal dialogue between me and my last brain cell was always an adventure. Damn lizard brain.

Tech took a breath to speak and I internally braced for whatever he was about to say. "How long have you been here?"

On second thought... I'd prefer the other topic. At least that one I could navigate without blowing myself sky high. I'd just lose a limb if I stepped on a landmine there.

"A while."

Comparatively speaking .

"How long is a while?" the engineer asked, hoping for something a bit less vague.

My answer was less than ideal for him. "Yes."

Crosshair sneered, "That's not an answer, sweetheart."

"Objection, it's not the answer you wanted. It technically is an answer to Tech's question."

While Crosshair scowled, Tech muttered, "She has a point."

I grinned and flipped Crosshair off as we entered the building and headed towards the cafeteria.

"Shads!"

I had two seconds to brace before Scooter jumped on my back and wrapped his arms around my neck. Quickly adjusting my stance, I leaned forward to counteract his weight dragging me back. "Scooter!"

Nuzzling his head into my cheek, he grinned and wrapped his legs around my waist to hold on. "Told ya you'd be fine!"

"You're about to not be fine, you ginger nuisance!" I retorted, teeth bared.

"You know you love me," he teased, hugging me tighter.

"Love to yeet your ass off a cliff, sure," I grumbled. Turning to Crosshair and a surprised looking Tech, I jerked a thumb back to indicate Scooter. "Meet Scooter, he's an idiot."

The ginger waved. "Howdy!"

Tech tilted his head in confusion as he peered at Scooter. "Are you not the man who refused to help her when she was running from us?"

"Oh, I knew she'd be able to handle you four!" Scooter laughed, slipping off my back. "She's a mean one!"

"I'm not mean, I'm vicious," I snorted, rolling my shoulders and straightening my clothes. "I'm only mean if you attack me first."

"Yeah, otherwise you're a big softie!" Scooter teased.

"I most certainly am not."

"Sure, sure." Scooter waved his hand dismissively.

"Hey! Scoot! C'mere for a sec!" Trevor called, coming inside.

Scooter nudged me with his elbow, jerked his head towards Tech, and winked before trotting over to Trevor.