CHAPTER 4

XXXXXXXX

------------------------

Adrian stole a horse, and for some reason he found it laughable.

It felt ridiculous. 

Riding all the way back home was hard. He didn't know if he would even be welcomed, after all his mother and sister had warned him to not leave but being a stubborn eighteen year old he didn't heed their warning. They told him following the path of his father would ruin him and he didn't listen, oh how much he would come to regret it later. 

Adrian wanted to find his father, he wanted him back. If it wasn't for that stupid artifact, his father would have been right with him and he would have never lost four years of his life. When Adrian was searching for his father four years ago, he came across information about a lost world. A lost world which had everything a person could ever imagine, and all a person needed was to find two pieces of a broken artifact, and before Arian could learn more the Jorendirs, his captors caught him.

He had not only broken into their hideout and found information, he had also witnessed a ritual to try and summon the pieces of the artifact, and gods did he feel sick watching it. The men sacrificed children. Children. 

They slit their throats in hope of pleasing the gods and succeeding in their mission.

Adrian didn't understand why or how his father was involved in all this mess but now that he was back, he wasn't really sure what to do anymore.

When the Dusk turned into Dawn, Adrian had finally reached his village. He immediately dismounted the stolen horse and tied it to a nearby pole, he would come back for it with food and water after he found his sister and mother, but something wasn't right. Instead of the usual earthly aroma he was always greeted with, all he smelt was burnt wood. He tried staying calm but it wasn't working.

When Adrian truly felt fear was the time when he notices the houses, all of them were burnt to a crisp. He made way to the place where his house once stood and there it was, completely ruined and empty and what was worse was when he noticed a piece of clothing sticking out from underneath splintered wood. It was a cotton, floral printed cloth, just like the one his mother used to wear. That was what he thought was his breaking point.

"Beatrice?" He yelled calling for his sister "Mother?"

Adrian started shivering and shaking from dread, his only remaining family was dead?  He started calling for anyone out there and when he received a gruff familiar reply was when he calmed down a bit

"Over here" The voice said. Adrian followed the voice to be greeted with his old family friend, a man of fifty years of age

"Taki?" Adrian asked "Is that you?"

"Adrian?" The man rushed forward and pulled the younger man in an embrace.

"Y-you disappeared, what happened?" Taki asked "Gods it's been so long" He examined the boy closely.

"I'll tell you later, what happened here?" he quickly asked "Where is everyone, where is my mother and sister?"

"There was an attack Adrian, we shifted as many people as we could away from here" The old man replied. "I stayed behind, your sister was among the people who were shifted."

Adrian sighed in relief.

"But," The man continued "Anna, your mother didn't make it."

XXXXXXX
-----------------