Chapter Twenty-Five

When Clementia returned from gathering later that day with Logan in tow, she brought along an unexpected, and more importantly, unwanted, surprise. Kai had just fallen asleep when they came back, with another tribute. And not just any tribute.

 “A Career? Are you crazy?” I exclaimed. The blonde from District 2 sat eating some meat whilst I spoke firmly to Clementia, Logan at my side “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

 “Just because she’s from a Career district, doesn’t mean she is one. She’s got a twisted ankle, and she needs our help,” Clementia insisted firmly. I folded my arms, unimpressed by the way she had acted.

 “This is ridiculous. How can we trust her? I don’t like her.”

 “That’s not my problem. Think what you like about her, Minerva is staying with us,” Clementia told me pointedly, before returning to eat with the girl. Huffily, I turned to Logan.

 “This is ridiculous,” I repeated, knife gripped firmly in my hand, ready to attack something. Clementia’s stupidity was not only irritating, but hurtful too. Why couldn’t she see where I was coming from? Surely she should be able to understand why I was doubtful of Minerva? I thought back to Minerva’s interview, and what she had said. How none of the tributes were worth her time. Ha! It crossed my mind then that it was time for Logan and I to leave. Go elsewhere. Logan seemed to be having similar thoughts.

 “She gives me the creeps,” he whispered back “I think we should keep an eye on her.”

 “Why can’t we just leave? We’ll be fine, just the two of us,” I pleaded.

 “And leave Clementia on her own? I know you’re mad at her, but we don’t want to see her get hurt, do we? And Kai? He can hardly defend himself can he?”

 I shifted my feet guiltily, realising how selfish I was being. I loosened my grip on my knife, and Logan took my hand, squeezing it gently.

 “Come on. Let’s go check on the snares I set up. We can get away for a bit, and then I’ll take first watch on Minerva.”

 I smiled and nodded. Still hand in hand, we went back to where we set up camp the first night. Three rabbits were the prize of Logan’s snares, and he quickly gutted and skinned them, throwing them in his rucksack to take back to the camp. Just as we were about to turn back to leave, Logan stood alert, listening closely. I copied his actions, fearing that a tribute was nearby, but then I saw it. A squirrel, oblivious to our whereabouts, only a few metres away from where we stood. Logan put his finger to his lips and crouched slowly so as not to scare the animal. I thought he was going to kill the creature for meat, but what he did next was not at all what I expected. He lay down on his stomach, and reached out towards the squirrel, a smile playing on his lips. The squirrel was immediately alert, and scurried a few metres away. I thought Logan would leave it at that, but he stayed in his position, his face serene and the wind rustling his hair. And, miraculously, the squirrel took a step towards him. And another. Then another. Until finally, the creature stood only a centimetre or so from Logan’s outstretched fingers. It sniffed delicately at Logan’s hand, and I realised I was holding my breath. Logan slowly stroked the top of the squirrel’s head, and it stayed for a second, before darting back out of sight. Still, it was the most amazing connection between a human and animal I’d ever seen. Logan rolled over onto his back and grinned up at me.

 “Cool, huh? I really like animals. I sometimes used to go and help on the farms in our District. I guess animals are easier to understand than humans.”

 I cocked my head to the side and smiled “I guess they are. I still don’t understand you, no matter how hard I try. You never fail to surprise me.”

 “Glad to hear it. I wouldn’t want you to think I’m boring. Now help me up. I’m too lazy to do it myself.”

 I rolled my eyes and attempted to pull him to his feet. My attempt failed miserably, and I found myself flat on my back on the floor. I heard Logan laughing as he crawled over to check I was alright. I grabbed a handful of fallen leaves and threw them over his head, giggling back. Then we lay back and watched the sun set.