Chapter Thirteen

I was rather rudely awakened with a “good natured” slap from Drew. That’s what he called it anyway.

 “Come on, Raven. Get up, you’re not even supposed to be here. I didn’t slap you that hard anyway,” he said, when I gave him my best glare “Besides, you’re going into the arena in a few days. Get used to it.”

 I grumbled a couple of the worst insults I could think of before heading for the door.

 “Raven! Wait.”

 I turned to look at Drew, my eyes drooping from lack of sleep.

 “I owe you.”

 “I’ll remember that. See you in a bit.”

 I headed back to my room bleary eyed, trying to erase the constant tiredness that had become so familiar to me. Clothes had already been left out for me, brown cotton pants that hung loose on my hips and a beige t-shirt. As I pulled them on, I wondered if the blonde Avox had left them for me. I imagined her creeping into the room, and carefully laying the clothes out for me. It seemed everything she did was done with extreme caution. I wondered again what she could have possibly done to become an Avox.

 I ate a large breakfast to give me some energy, and felt much better having done so. I said very little, especially not to Drew. He was also very quiet, not even bothering to make snide remarks about Eli’s latest attire or intimidate the others in our company. He also seemed to have no appetite, as he wearily poked at a piece of bacon with his fork. I could tell he wasn’t listening to Valeria giving Logan and me advice, and I admit, I wasn’t either.

 “Wake up, Raven! Did you listen to a word I said?” Valeria snapped.

 “Sorry. Can you repeat what you said please?” I asked guiltily. She sighed and rolled her eyes.

 “Fine. For the final time. I suggest you try your hand at everything. Even things you are already good at. You said you were good with knives. Improve. You know how to use a sword, you said. Improve. You don’t know how to use a slingshot? Learn! And don’t forget. You’ll need other skills too. Being able to light a fire or knowing what plants are safe to eat could save your life. It’s important to know a bit of everything. Also, help each other out. You’re team mates. Use each other.”

 “What about other tributes? Should we avoid them?”

 “That’s up to you. You might pick up skills by working with and observing the others. I do, however, advise you to stay away from the Careers. The less they know about you, the better. Especially that boy from District One. He seems to have a hatred for you, Raven.”

 “Yes, I noticed. I bet he can’t wait to kill me.”

 “Yes, well. He is a Career. And you showed him up last night.” She checked her watch “Finish up. Then meet me by the lift. You need to be at the training centre in ten minutes.”

 I quickly shovelled the rest of my food down and headed back to my room to give my teeth a quick scrub. I hardened my features and glared back at myself in the mirror. I was ready.