Chapter Thirty-Seven

Decided to split this chapter into two! It was originally gonna be a HUGE chapter, but I thought you'd like the ending to this one, so I posted it... :) Read, Vote, Enjoy!!!

 I awoke at midday on the day of the feast and began my preparations. I had originally decided that Moonstone’s slingshot would be no use to me, but I decided to keep it anyway. I had very little food left, but I figured I would salvage some at the feast. Though I was wary. Claudius had said they were going to “spice it up a little.” That couldn’t be a good thing. Entertaining, perhaps. But not for us. And I wasn’t going to trust the feast so quickly. If need be, I could do without the food. Only a few days left was the constant whisper in my mind.

 I selected my tunnel carefully. I had made the decision to hide in one so that I could have the element of surprise when I attacked. I was sure Roger would be there, and he would be hoping to greet me with an assault. I wasn’t sure whether he was still with Avery, but something told me he wouldn’t go alone.

 The sky darkened as the day dragged on, as though foreshadowing a dismal event. I panicked. Was I doing the right thing? I didn’t see any other option. In my state, I couldn’t leave the Cornocopia. And if I wanted to win, I’d have to beat down the opposition first.

 I wondered whether Logan would turn up. I didn’t think he would be hungry, he knew how to provide for himself, unlike the Careers. But maybe…maybe he would. I hoped he wouldn’t. Seeing his face again would break me.

 I pondered on my choice to leave him while I waited for the feast to begin. After that night with him, I just knew everything had changed. There was a different air between us. Something had sparked. And looking at his face, I knew I had to go. I couldn’t stay and allow myself to watch him die. I couldn’t face the pain of knowing I couldn’t keep the bond between us. In the long run, it was better that we were parted.

 But a pain had settled in the bottom of my heart. A different pain to the sort I had grown used to during the Games. Not physical. Something morphine couldn’t heal. A sense that I had lost a chunk of my soul, a part of what little happiness I had left.

 I closed my eyes to compose myself. Then, suddenly, the ground began to rumble. It was beginning. I opened my eyes to discover a table had appeared in the mouth of the Cornocopia, with a veritable feast on offer. My mouth watered as I stared at the succulent meats, the juicy fruits, the golden loaves of bread. Right in the centre, a wonderful masterpiece of a cake stood tall, with chocolate dripping from the sides like a waterfall. I forced myself not to run straight for the food. That’s what they wanted.

 And out of the dark, he appeared. Roger. He had obviously been present for a while, his clothes completely dry. If he had only just arrived, they would have been wet from the swim. He had a several spears attached to his back in a large sheath, like for arrows, but larger, and in his hand, he held a long silver sword. Hobbling behind him was Avery. Her face was screwed up with determination, but she was clearly weak from her leg injury. She held an axe in one hand and a hammer in the other, but I was almost certain she was incompetent with both from the way she held them awkwardly. She looked around nervously, obviously afraid of someone attacking her. But no one in their right mind would attack now. Not alone. Logan and the boy from 6 could be the only two others present. Neither would attack, I was sure of it.

 I quietly shifted into a more comfortable positioning, sticking to the shadows of the tunnel. Roger had almost reached the table, and his eyes were widened.

 “Tributes!” a voice boomed. It startled me, and clearly Avery and Roger were surprised too. Avery stumbled and fell flat on her back, so Roger had to help her up.

 “Welcome to this very special feast,” the voice said, who I then identified as Claudius Templesmith’s “The bounty before you is of course tempting. What you didn’t know is that some of the food here is poisoned.”

 A low groan came from Roger’s mouth, and he cursed loudly, even stamping his foot for added effect.

 “Some food here has the power to kill you instantly. Some will ensure you suffer for a long time. Choose your meal wisely. Or go hungry. May the odds be ever in your favour.”

 The silence was horrible. I watched as Roger ran a hand through his hair and took a tentative step towards the table. Not so cocky now, are you? I thought.

 “What do you want to do, Roger?” Avery said so quietly, I only just caught what she said.

 “Do? I want to eat!” Roger yelled.

 “Shh, the others might hear.”

 “You’re a fool, Avery. If they’re here, they know where we are. They won’t attack us. We’re too strong.”

 As if to prove his point, he swung round to examine each tunnel in turn. A sick feeling crept into my stomach, and I was painfully aware of my heavy breathing. But the shadows kept me well concealed, and Roger returned his gaze to the bounty.

 “There isn’t any right way to do this, is there? They want us to think that the cake is too good to be true, so that we’ll eat something else. Or the opposite. I don’t know what to do.”

 It came as a shock to me, Roger admitting his weakness. Of course, everyone has a weakness. I had plenty. But he was obviously a man who didn’t know his own mind. His constant grip on his hair with his hand spoke miles about him.

 He was afraid.

 Enough was enough. I was going to kill him. I had to take Avery out first, though. Raising the slingshot, I aimed for her perfect blonde head. A grey stone sat comfortably in the sling, awaiting its fate. And deciding mine.  I was about to let go. When I saw him.

 Logan.