Bad Dreams and Ballroom Dancing

Boyf Riends
Jeremy's POV
Post SQUIP / College AU

"Hey, babes," I greet Michael as he walking into the living room. "How was your nap?"

"Eh." He shrugs and sits down next to me. He is quick to wrap his arms around me and rest he head on my shoulder. I bring my arm around him and kiss the top of his head. He lets out a sigh, a sigh that I can't figure the meaning behind.

"Is everything alright?" I ask.

"No," Michael sighs again. "But it's okay. And, no, I don't wanna talk about it."

"Then we won't talk about it." I reach for the blanket draped over the couch and lay it over Michael before I rub his arm. This clearly isn't the first time something like this has happened, so I know what he wants me to do. I grab the TV remote and hand it to him. "Hey, why don't you you look for a movie for us to watch while I make us some popcorn?" I suggest. When I try to stand up, Michael tightens his hold on me.

"Don't leave me," he whispers. Oh I get it. He had a bad dream.

"Mikey, I'm only going to the kitchen." He only blinks at me in response. "Would you like to come with me?" He nods and pushes the blanket off of himself. He releases me just enough so I can stand up. I offer him my hand and pull him up from the couch. We keep our hands held as I lead him into the kitchen. "I need both my hands to make the popcorn. Is that okay?"

"Mhm," he hums. He lets go of my hand and I quickly open the cabinet that holds the snacks and take out the popcorn box. I get a package, take off the plastic wrapping, and put it in the microwave for the recommended amount of time. When I turn to face Michael, I notice that he's looking down at the floor, completely zoned out.

"I mean it is a nice floor," I start as I walk towards him. This causes him to snap out of his trance and he looks up at me. I close the space between us and rest my forehead against his, taking his hands in mine. "Wanna tell me what your dream was about?" I ask in a whisper as I run my thumb across his knuckles.

"Not really," Michael mumbles. I squeeze his hands as a way to ask him to tell me. He sighs and squeezes my hands back. "It was like the same one from last time. The whole 'you walking out on me' thing."

"That's what I thought." I lift my head from his so I can look at him better. I release one of his hands and cup his cheek. "Tell me about it again."

"Why?" He looks at me with a confused face.

"Because you need to talk about it."

"Okay. Well, uh, it starts out with us arguing, but I don't know what we're arguing about. Then you start screaming that you hate me and you threaten to leave. I beg you to stay, but you don't. You just turn around and walk out. And that's when I wake up."

"So, obviously I don't study dream interpretation, but I think you need to figure out what dream-us is fighting about. It could be a problem that real life-us need to work out."

"I guess." Michael shifts his gaze downwards, avoiding eye contact. I rub my thumb against his cheek, silently asking him to look back at me. His eyes flick back and forth between me and the floor before finally landing on me.

"I'm never going to leave you."

"I know, but-" I cut him off.

"No 'but's. That's it. I. Am. Never. Leaving. You. No matter how bad an argument may get, I'm staying with you. I love you and you are stuck with me for the rest of eternity." I see the corner of his lips turn up into a smile. Michael smiles every time we say 'I love you' and has ever since we started saying it.