CH 5

At twelve-thirty, Frank called a lunch break. He made sandwiches for him and Alec and they ate on the front porch. His stomach still knotted from his earlier conversation with Alec, Frank took small bites that didn't sit well. Alec ate in silence, gazing out at the lake, eyes vacant as if he didn't have a single thing—a single care—on his mind.

I wonder what that's like? Frank couldn't imagine a carefree mind. He stopped eating and stared at Alec. Care and concern for others was a part of humanity. To some degree, a mind free of fear and worry might seem relaxing. But not this type of "carefree." Alec may not resonate emotion in his eyes and facial expression, but something was going on inside the young man... and Frank sensed it did not bring the boy peace.

Setting his plate aside, Frank took a drink of iced tea then left his chair and walked to the porch rail. His back to Alec, he leaned on his arms and looked out at the lake, the surface of the water glittering like diamonds beneath the afternoon sun. He drew in a slow, deep breath and released it on a controlled exhale. "What did you mean when you said time is running out?"

Movement behind him and Alec joined him. His eyes roamed the countryside. "I don't know."

"What?" Frank blinked, turning his focus on Alec's face. "Why did you say it? What did you mean?"

Alec met his stare. "I don't know."

"You don't know what it means?" Frank frowned.

Alec shook his head.

"Then why would you say it? Where did it come from?"

Alec shrugged. "I don't know. But it's true."

"I-I don't understand," Frank said. "How can you not know why you said it—but still know it's true? Or what it means?"

"I don't know."

Frank rubbed his mouth, confused... and scared. "And... and you don't know what it has to do with Dennis?"

"The sheriff?"

"You said he needs to know he's more than just a guest in our relationship—and that he needs to know now... because time was running out." What little food Frank managed to swallow sat like rocks in his gut, threatening to come back up. Repeating Alec's words aloud heightened the cryptic sensation. "When you talked to him this morning, in the kitchen, you were urging him to confirm that he would take care of me if something happened to you." Frank swallowed, his fear welling like a balloon in his chest. "Why would you think something might happen to you?" Frank cupped his face and pressed his lips to Alec's forehead. "I'll never let anything bad happen to you," he whispered. "I'll protect you with my life."

"No." Alec stepped back a bit abruptly.

"What..." Frank looked at him, puzzled. "Alec, I love you. When you love someone, there is nothing you wouldn't do to keep them safe. Their life matters more than your own." He reached out again and touched Alec's cheek. "I wouldn't think twice about giving up my life to save yours."

Alec stared at him, his black eyes seeming to pulsate. "No, Doc." He pulled away and moved around Frank toward the front door. "No." Alec disappeared inside the house.

Tremors gripped Frank—as well as an overload of confusion and heightening of fear.

What are you hiding from me, Alec?

Did Alec even know?

They needed to restart the therapy sessions—soon. Within the week—

Frank jumped when his cell rang, then pulled it from his pocket. Dennis. Quickly calming his nerves, he answered the call. "Dennis..."

"Frank." Dennis cleared his throat. "I just wanted to call and..." A short, nervous laugh. "I can't think of an excuse. To be honest, I just wanted to hear your voice."