CH 36

The next two days passed with an almost eerie calm. According to Dennis, Deputy Dean had kept a low profile since he was fired, hardly showing his face in town. Neither Frank nor Dennis had decided if this was a good sign... or a bad one. The average, stable person often felt humiliated when let go from a job. The "humiliation" had to have been much worse for a narcissist, egomaniac like Bradley Dean.

Dennis' main concern was for Marcy, who remained a bundle of nerves, half expecting retaliation from the deputy. Frank was relieved to hear that come Friday—two days following the incident—she had neither seen nor heard from Dean. Even so, the young woman meant to spend the weekend out of town, having made plans to visit her parents in Milwaukee.

Perhaps Dean had tucked tail and left town for a while as well. Bullies tended to turn tail and run when confronted by someone of equal stature. Frank hoped and prayed such was the case with the deputy. People like Bradley Dean were gasoline to Alec's fire.

Frank cringed at the mental analogy... as it was more literal than figurative.

As the men got ready to go out, Frank continued to puzzle over how Alec had talked him into this. It occurred to him as well that Alec hadn't answered his question about wanting them out of the house. Not really. The boy had played it off that he wanted this for Frank, that Frank needed this time with his friends. But Frank couldn't help but believe there was more to it—and that worried him.

That wasn't all that concerned him. Alec didn't remember what happened in the woods, just as he'd forgotten what he had said to Ron about his past. Something was happening to Alec and it scared Frank. They needed to restart their sessions immediately, and Frank had intended to do so, even with Ron and James visiting. But he suddenly felt uneasy about having the other men there, and he didn't know why.

Don't you? Like Alec said—you don't know what will come out once you start opening doors in his mind. Or what might "escape."

Perhaps it was safer for everyone if Frank and Alec were alone while he was under hypnosis.

"I still don't feel comfortable with this," Frank admitted while Dennis straightened his tie and generally admired him. "I wish Zeke would come with us."

"I know." Dennis kissed him. "But he's clearly not budging on that."

Frank sighed. "Maybe we shouldn't go."

"I trust him to be vigilant and careful."

"I do, too. But..."

"I think he's right about you needing to get out," Dennis said quietly.

"Maybe," Frank mumbled. "I don't know."

Dennis cupped his face. "Try to relax and have a good time tonight." He softly kissed Frank's mouth. "You're allowed."

Was he, though? Frank had willingly signed up for this "union" with Alec. Was it his penance to live in fear and worry—for aligning himself with... whatever dark force resided inside the young man?

Ron and James were waiting and ready to go when Frank and Dennis came downstairs. Alec lounged in the open front door.

"Can I speak with you in the kitchen, Zeke?" Frank gestured to the young man, who followed him into the other room. "I want you to stay close to the house while we're gone, all right? I know how well your hearing is, so if you hear anyone nearby, please come in the house and stay out of sight."

A hint of a smile played on Alec's lips. "You don't have to worry about me, Doc. I told you."

Frank hugged him. "I know that's true, for the most part, but I still worry."