CH 3

Dennis gave her a moment to absorb the news. She looked dazed, as expected, then shocked. No tears. He wasn't surprised.

His tone calm, neutral, Dennis took a seat at the table. "Marlene..."

She blinked and quietly cleared her throat. "How..." Marlene met his stare. "How did he...?"

The memory of Randall's mental break sent shivers through Dennis. Bashing his head against the wall. Ripping out his hair. The wages of sin is death! He released a shaky breath. "He... He shot himself, Marlene," Dennis whispered. "He was... out of his mind. I arrived just before he pulled the trigger. There was nothing I could do."

Confusion grasped her. "I-I don't understand. What do you mean he was out of his mind? Do you mean he was drunk?"

"He'd just returned from the fishing trip... I'm sure he was drunk. But what I saw..." Dennis sighed and shivered again. "It was more than just intoxication. The best way I can describe it is that he had some kind of mental break. He was acting insane."

Marlene lowered her eyes to her cup. "Did he say anything?"

Dennis hesitated. "Uh, yeah, he... he was screaming 'the wages of sin is death'... just before he shot himself."

The woman flinched as if imagining the scene in her head. "Why was he screaming that?"

"I don't..." Dennis faltered. How could he get around the full truth? He felt sick at the thought of telling her what Randall had done to Benny... and how far it would've gone had he not killed himself.

Marlene raised her eyes. There was a hint of tears, but not for Randall. The sheriff's hesitation sparked fear within her. "Tell me, Dennis," she whispered. "Just tell me the truth."

I can't. God, I can't.

But she would find out—and it couldn't be from some random person on the street.

"Dennis." She reached across the table and grasped his hand—gripped him. "Tell me." Her chin trembled and Dennis saw the fear in her eyes. Did she know what he was going to say? No, he didn't believe that. If she'd suspected such things of her husband—she would've gotten Benny away from him, even if she had to run away with her son.

No, the fear he saw now wasn't fear of what she already knew or suspected... but fear that Dennis would reveal something horrifying about her husband of which she'd been oblivious.

Dennis squeezed her hand. "I..." He blinked as his vision swam. "I found some things in his den... some... child porn and..." He sighed shakily and tried to force the words out. They wouldn't budge from the base of his throat.

"And what?"

"Photos... of... of Benny."

Marlene began to shake, and a tear rolled down her face. Quiet terror shadowed her eyes.

"Benny talked to me last night," Dennis murmured. "About his dad."

Marlene slowly shook her head, her face crumbling. "No..."

Leaving his chair, Dennis moved around the table without releasing her hand, and took a seat beside her. "Marlene. Benny is okay. It didn't go very far. And being so young, chances are, he won't even remember it when he's older. He'll be okay. You and me... we'll make sure he's okay, and make sure he knows that he can talk to us about it if he wants to."

Marlene withdrew from Dennis and buried her face in her hands, sobs shuddering through her. "It's my fault. I-I should've protected him."

"You didn't know." Dennis rubbed her back.