CH 11

"Do you always get up this early?"

Dennis jumped, spilling coffee on the counter. "Holy cow, sis." He laughed short and glanced around at Marlene. "You startled me. I thought you were asleep." He wiped up the mess and finished filling his cup. "Coffee?"

"Please," she whispered.

Dennis filled a second cup and brought both to the table. "Why are you up so early?"

"I couldn't sleep," she said quietly and sipped her drink. "A lot on my mind."

"Of course. I understand that." Dennis tipped his cup to his lips.

"You didn't answer," Marlene murmured. "Are you always up this early?"

"I have some things to take care of."

"Sheriff things, or..." She lowered her eyes to her cup.

"Personal things... I guess. I wanted to, uh..." He faltered and she looked up. "... go back out to your place, start cleaning it up."

Marlene nodded and sipped at her coffee again. "So, Benny and I can move back home." She swallowed and stared at the table. "I understand if you don't want us here, now that—"

"Whoa. Wait. What?" Dennis frowned, confused. "No, sis... that isn't what I meant. I told Benny last night that you could both stay with me for as long as you wanted. Don't start to think that you're somehow in my way. You will never be in my way—you're my family and I love you both very much."

Marlene teared up but wouldn't look at him.

Dennis sighed. "We've always been upfront with each other," he said softly. "Please tell me the truth... does my being gay bother you? Do you see me differently?" Of all the people he might tell, he'd thought Marlene would have been the most supportive. He didn't understand what was happening between them now.

To his shock, she nodded and whispered, "It does... bother me. And... and I can't help but see you differently."

Dennis wasn't prepared for the pain that cut through his heart. He considered Marlene his own flesh and blood sister... one of his best friends. He gazed at her as she hung her head, tears thick in her eyes yet somehow holding.

"I..." He swallowed then cleared his throat. "I'm sorry to hear that. I-I don't know what to do about it. Contrary to what many people think... we can't change who we are." He exhaled softly and stared into his coffee. "And... I wouldn't want to."

Marlene sniffed. "Because of... them?"

She didn't need to clarify. "Not just them," he murmured. "But yes." He looked up. "They're good men, Marlene. You met them—and liked them."

"I know," she whispered.

Dennis started to reach for her hand then aborted the notion. Whatever issues she had with him at the moment, she didn't want him touching her. "You've had to deal with a lot of things in a very short time," he spoke gently with concern. "I know it can't be easy for you to... process it all. Maybe... maybe you should talk to someone."

"I'm talking to you."

"True." He smiled small. "And you can talk to me any time you need to or want to. But I was thinking someone... qualified."

She raised her eyes. "A... shrink?"

"Well... therapist. Yes. Just to help you sort out your feeling and emotions... about Randall and what happened with Benny. And... whatever else you feel the need to talk about."

She stared at him uncertainly but didn't immediately reject the idea. "There's no one around here..."

Drawing a slow, deep breath, Dennis said, "There's Frank Harlan. He's a psychiatrist... and a very compassionate, understanding man."