CH 14

"Zeke..." James rose from his chair. "How about you give me a tour? I love these old farmhouses."

The young man smiled lazily at James and nodded, motioned for him to follow, and entered the house. James caught Ron's eye as he walked by and Ron mouthed, thank you. He'd been wanting to speak to Frank alone since his friend returned to the house.

"He seems like a nice young man," Ron said when the two were gone.

Frank rested against the porch rail, avoiding direct eye contact. "He is. I care about him very much."

"Not to dispute that, but..." Ron leaned forward. "... how well do you know him? You met him after you left the city. That wasn't very long ago."

Frank took in a deep breath and released it slowly as he looked off toward the woods. "I feel like I've known him my whole life."

That's what worried Ron. There was a reason he surely felt that way—the boy's behavior and mannerisms practically mirrored that of Alec Strom's. Frank's former patient had been extremely dangerous... was Zeke a potential risk as well? Ron was no psychiatrist, so he wasn't qualified to make that deduction, yet the concern burrowed into his bones and took root.

"So... you think this could be long-term?"

Frank brought his focus back to Ron. "What?"

"Your relationship with Zeke."

Finally meeting his eyes, Frank stared at him. "Yes."

Ron sighed. "Frank..."

"Don't," Frank countered before he got started. "I know what you're going to say. I'm not blind... of course, I see it, too. But... there is more to Zeke than the similarities."

"But they're so... stark," Ron said. "Are you sure this is healthy? I have always understood your care for Alec... but the years you spent treating him—it nearly ruined you. There was something very... wrong... with Alec. It breaks my heart for anyone to live and die the way he did, but in the end... his death may have saved your life."

"I don't know what..." Frank hung his head.

He knew. Ron had no doubts about that. For whatever reason, though, he struggled with admitting it to Ron... and likely himself.

"Despite everything," Ron murmured. "Despite the fact that he was dangerous and scared the hell out of me... there was something in Alec that I liked. I believe there was some good in him. Enough good to show concern for you." Ron stood and joined Frank at the rail. "You do know that's why he didn't want you there... at the execution... right? Whether or not he could actually feel anything, I don't know. But he understood how much you cared for him. And he knew the pain it would cause you to watch him die. That right there convinced me there was some light in him... if only a pinprick. But it was there. Maybe it was enough to award him entrance to a good place on the other side. I sincerely hope it was."

Frank stared down at the porch planks. "There was more than a pinprick," he whispered.

"Maybe so," Ron said gently. "I hope so. But..."

"I'm not leaving Zeke." Frank looked up; eyes misty. "I'm sorry if it concerns you, but it's my relationship. He needs me. We need each other. I will never abandon him. You need to accept that."

Ron nodded. "As you wish." His friend's determined grip on the relationship only heightened Ron's concern, but Frank clearly wasn't open to discussing the matter. Not yet, anyway.

"There's, uh..." Frank cleared his throat. "There's something else you should know."

"What's that?"