CH 1

Sorry for the delay in continuing this series. But I'm thrilled to be back with it - and all of you :)

_________________________

"Sneaking out on us?" Zeke appeared in the kitchen doorway as silent as a mouse; Dennis hadn't heard him come down the stairs. The sky outside was just beginning to turn gray and the wall clock read 5:05. Zeke leaned against the doorframe, wearing black pajama pants and nothing else. The air was chilled, but he didn't seem to notice. He stared at Dennis; his deep, eerily dark eyes inquiring whether Dennis was attempting to escape without detection.

"No." Dennis smiled and strapped on his gun belt then slipped into his jacket. He plucked his hat from the corner of a kitchen chair and placed it on his head. His smile faded. "I have to get back home and talk to Marlene about Randall. I didn't want to wake you and Frank so early."

Zeke continued to stare at him. No one had ever looked at Dennis quite like Zeke. The young man didn't just look into his eyes... he seemed to see into his soul. The Sheriff shivered, both pleasantly and fearfully. He remembered meeting Zeke and Frank at the furniture store. The boy had boldly accused Randall of abusing his family, insisting Marlene and Benny were too afraid of Randall to tell Dennis the truth. When questioned if he had proof, he had replied – I see it in their soul. Frank quickly passed it off, explaining he meant in their eyes. But Dennis wasn't entirely convinced that was true.

"Are you coming back?" Zeke asked.

The young man was an enigma. Dennis typically figured people out fairly quickly. People like Frank. But Zeke was a different story. "Are you sure you and Frank won't get tired of me hanging around so much?"

"Why would we?" Zeke asked simply, as if truly perplexed. "We like you."

At times, Zeke was like a complex mystery. Other times, he exhibited the simplicity of an innocent child. "I like you, too." Dennis smiled. "And yes, I will be back." He squinted, staring at the boy, and leaned against the counter. "Can I ask you something, Zeke?"

"Yes."

Dennis slowly rubbed his hand back and forth across his mouth as he gazed curiously at the young man. "You and Frank are clearly very close and very much in love." He shook his head. "Why did you invite me into your relationship? What did you think I could add to it that you didn't already have with one another?"

That deep look again, penetrating Dennis' soul. Zeke absently dragged his fingertips over the lean hills of his abdomen and Dennis was suddenly overcome with the need to touch him as well. The Sheriff remained put and waited for Zeke's answer.

"You're good for the doc," the boy murmured. "You bring him peace."

"Peace?" Dennis frowned. "How is that?"

Zeke just stared at him for a long moment before speaking. "You would take care of him." It wasn't really an answer to the question. "If something happened to me... you would take care of him."

The look in Zeke's pervading dark eyes and the tone of his voice gave Dennis the chills—like one might get walking over a grave. "I'm sure nothing is going to happen to you, Zeke."

"The doc can't be alone," Zeke continued as if Dennis hadn't spoken. "But you would take care of him. You would... love him."

"Well... yes, I would." Dennis walked toward the young man. His brow creased. "How is it, exactly, that I bring Frank peace?"

Zeke touched him once he was within reach and ran his hand up Dennis' chest. "He can relax with you."

"And he can't relax with you?"