CH 9

"Wow. Something smells good." Dennis slipped out of his Sheriff's jacket and placed it on the hook by the front door.

"Uncle Dennis!" Benny bolted to his feet—abandoning his herd of dinosaurs set up across the coffee table—and dove into the man's arms.

Dennis swung him up from the floor. "Hey, buddy. What smells so good?" He cast a coy smile at Marlene who stood in the kitchen doorway.

"Dinner!" Benny exclaimed.

"Mm. I'm not used to coming home to a home-cooked meal." He carried Benny across the small living room and paused before the woman. "But I'm betting I could get used to it."

Marlene painted a smile on her face. "It isn't quite ready." She took Benny and set him down. "Why don't you go get freshened up."

"Me?" Benny looked up at her. "I just took a bath."

"Not you," Marlene said. "And you didn't just take a bath. That was hours ago."

"Oh." Benny sniffed each of his underarms and grinned. "I still smell good."

Dennis laughed as Marlene rolled her eyes, a genuine smile sneaking across her lips. "Don't encourage him," she scolded Dennis.

Benny cackled and raced back to his toys.

"He's a tenacious one." Dennis smiled, a deep love for the child radiating from his eyes as he watched the boy kneel at the coffee table.

"That he is," Marlene sighed.

Cocking his head, Dennis asked with concern, "You okay, sis?"

"Yeah," she whispered, avoiding his gaze. "I better keep an eye on dinner."

He nodded, his doubtful stare heavy on her back as she turned away. "Do I have time for a quick shower?"

"Yes."

He started to leave then faltered. "You sure you're okay?"

"Mm-hm." She willed him to go without further questioning. He did, and Marlene let out a low, shaky breath. All day—since Benny's bath time—the tension had mounted, more and more the closer it came time for Dennis to arrive home.

Marlene functioned on autopilot as she finished with dinner, the sound of the shower playing in the back of her mind as flickering images of Dennis began to jump in and out of her head.

"Stop." She gripped the counter and squeezed her eyes shut, choking down a small sob. "Just... stop."

"Stop what?"

Marlene flinched and looked behind her. Benny had returned to the kitchen, carrying a toy dinosaur. She cleared her throat. "Nothing, honey," she rasped. "I-I was just... talking to myself."

She sniffed and checked the oven. When she glanced toward the doorway, the boy was gone.

• • •

Thoughts of Frank and Zeke invaded Dennis' head as he stood beneath the steaming spray and scrubbed his naked body. He attempted to block them out—knowing what it would do to him—but they were relentless. The afternoon's events with the two men began a playback in his mind as all the sensations and heat rushed over him. Dennis ached to be with them this evening, but he needed to be here. He had to speak to Benny about his father. And Marlene...

As Dennis' thoughts shifted, the heat in his body cooled a bit. The woman had seemed almost distant with him when he came into the house. That wasn't like her at all. After everything that had happened, though, could he blame her for exhibiting some strange behavior? The poor woman just had her world turned upside down and now, she was facing a whole new life. She wasn't given time to prepare for it. And even though it would be a better life... she was surely still reeling, trying to get her footing.