Day 3 (pt 2)

KARLLLLL THAT KILLS PEOPLE

"Oh no mom," My voice cracked as I saw a shadow figure hunched over her. Rage bubbled in my soul, my hand moved on its own.

I lunged towards the creature, the knife piercing through the hide. With a final screech, the creature fell to the side. It's eyes turning a blank gray. I look into the void of the creature's dead eyes. I found myself feeling pity for the creature. I mean in all reality it was basically forced to act as such. Like an infection sniffing for blood. A true monster.

"K-Karl.." I peeled my eyes away from the carcass to my mother. She was leaning against the wall, her shirt torn. Blood was oozing from her shoulder, and a small cut on her head.

I rushed over to her, grabbing a hand towel to place on her neck. She hissed in pain, turning her head to the side. I looked up at the cut on her head, it was hardly a cut. Blood only bubbled to the surface, staying in place.

She put her hand up to my face. Wiping my tears. I was crying? I pulled back shocked. Placing my own hand on my cheeks. They were hot and wet.

I looked down at her legs, she had on boy shorts. I noticed the large number of claw marks scattered on her legs. One in particular spilling blood all over the floor. I looked around till my eyes landed on the medicine cabinet.

"Mum hold this here," My voice was hurried.

"Kar-"

"Just do it mom please," I felt my voice crack slightly on the last, please. She looked up to meet my gaze, her eyes were glazed over with sorrow. She sighed and did as I said.

I quickly stood up, carefully walking towards the medicine cabinet. I pulled out the box of gauze carelessly pulling out a large strip. I slid back over to her trying my best to bandage up the wounds.

"Karl."

I pressed the gauze to her leg. It was already soaked through. I grabbed another placing it on top of the other.

"Karl."

It was continuing to bleed. Now the one on her neck had bled through, the color of the blood also now being black.

"Karl."

I tried to place another gauze pad on her neck, but she grabbed my hands. I felt my body slump. I knew it wouldn't be worth it. She was going to become like one of them.

"It's not worth it," tears spilled onto her face. I felt my own tears start to flow. She pulled me into a hug. I let her hold me while I sobbed.

The transition period was going to be quicker. So much quicker since she had been bitten and scratched. It would only take a few hours. After a moment I looked up into her eyes. They were still the beautiful blue as before, but at the bottom was a slight fire red.

She pushed me off her and ran out of the bathroom. I quickly followed her, finding her in her room. She threw a sweatshirt at me, and a small knickknack. I caught all of them confused. She was now in the closet (heh) looking for something specific it seemed.

She pulled out a small box. She walked over to the bed, shaking slightly. She pulled out a small note, it was from dad. She motioned me to sit down next to her. I listened and sat against her leaning on her shoulder-skimming the pages while she read. He called her his little sunflower.

My cheeks were wet with tears again, my throat was dry. I closed my eyes breathing in the scent of my mother one last time. We stayed like this, in this position for an hour.

I felt her body become increasingly hot. I looked up, the creature fighting for dominance over her. I shuffled back opening the bedroom door. She looked down squeezing her eyes shut. A moment later everything seemed to change. Her posture, her mannerisms. She was gone.