Chapter Twelve

LISA

"Lisa, can you at least be my friend?" Jennie mumbles after a while as we still hug each other in a classroom of our school, which I am not sure when the rain will stop, anyway. I sigh, rubbing her back. Last time, I respect her father's decision, and I have never told anyone about that, even Jisoo. Right now, I feel like there is no punishment for being her friend because sooner or later we will separate part after this year, and I will enjoy this moment with her.

I nod, smiling. "Yep. A friend would be fine." Then, she turns to look at me with wide eyes as she squeals in delight. "Really?" I nod again as she hugs me tighter.

"I am sorry that I ignore you, Jennie. I act as if I were better than you here when it actually happens otherwise." I mumble against her ear, and she still doesn't release me from our embrace. I wish she didn't do it, anyway. Her warmth is great against my skin.

It's the first time that I allow her to do something she wants with me because I also want that. Somehow, my mind drifts to her father. What would he think if he knows that I won't go away from Jennie?

I always blame myself for the encounter between me and her dad. If that day, I hadn't followed Jennie to her house, stalking her like a freak I used to call Jennie, her father wouldn't force me to say anything I shouldn't have said.

Yes, I love her.

Shit! I shouldn't have said that. At that time, we have just known each other for three months after being in the same class. His look was intimidating and terrifying. Of course, he would feel that way, and I have no right to argue about that because who I am to say anything about that?

I am just a girl.

No house.

No car.

None of the amenities.

Nothing.

I doubt I would give myself permission to love Jennie if I were her father. That's why I hadn't told anyone about our encounter because I believe that no matter what, he's at no fault. It's a nature of a caring and loving father, after all. But who knows he could potentially ask Jennie to marry a much older man for something they have already had? Not to mention, a man might be a psychopath or something.

Suddenly, her phone rings. I tap her shoulder slightly as to tell her to pick it up. She scowls cutely before taking her phone up to look at the number. She bolts up when Mino's number flashing on it. She widens her eyes and looks at me.

I frown a bit, not knowing how to feel because as far as I know, she wouldn't let him have her number, nor does she like him back. I nod at the phone, wanting her to pick it up anyway.

I am sorry, Mino.

I can't go.

Yeah, I know I have promised, but something has come up, and I can't go right now.

Bye.

A bunch of words comes out of her mouth, but the only word I have paid attention to is 'promised'.

Did she promise to go out with him?

Has she really done that?

Well, after all, I can't blame her for any of that.

"Lisa, Mino asked me to go out, and I-"

"You agreed." I cut her off, smiling at her. "I am glad you find a friend." Her face turns sad as she tries to catch my hand and holds it against her chest as if she is afraid that I might run away or something. She closes her eyes tightly before sighing heavily as though she prepared to spill something out.

"Listen, Lisa. I don't want to go out with him. Never have I thought I would do it, but I-I thought I might forget you and your existence when someone else occupies my time. I also-"

"You don't have to explain to me, Jennie. It's okay to have a new friend. It's not that I mind because I am being an asshole with you all the time." Then, she bursts into laughter as if I have said something so hilarious. I frown, indirectly asking her to explain it to me.

She stops herself from laughing by putting her tiny hand on her mouth before calming down a bit. "I don't know a nerd has an 'asshole' word in their dictionary." She still laughs, and I want to admit that it's infectious because I smile too. She makes me happy, and I know why I fall for her. With her, I am free of every misery I have even if it's not going to be forever, I still enjoy it.

I roll my eyes playfully, "Jennie, I know you consider me as a nerd, but I am not a saint."

"You are also a comedian. You are so funny. In class, I always laugh at your jokes even if you are not noticing it, but I am falling for it." She curves her lips up into a beautiful smile. "Back to Mino, I don't talk to him because I have feelings for him or anything. I wanted to forget you, but I didn't want to stop loving you. You know that, right?" I nod, satisfied with her confession even though I know I shouldn't let myself be happy because of that.

We stay in silence for an hour or so until the rain stops before I ask her to call her chauffeur. "Lisa, let my chauffeur bring you home."

"No, it's okay. I will go by bus."

"Lisa, please."

"I don't want your parents to worry about you. It's nearly two hours now,"

She sighs. "Now, give me your phone number so that you can text me when you arrive home."

"Huh?"

She holds out her hand, waiting for me to put my phone in it. I sigh, giving in as she smiles in triumph.

"Bye, Lisa." After planting a kiss on my cheek, she runs as fast as she can to her car like the day, which she kissed me in front of Yeri. I unconsciously touch my cheek before walking to the bus stop.

On the way home, I text Jisoo, telling her everything about what happened today as she literally comes to my house to ask me in person if it's true or not.

Of course, I didn't tell her about my kiss or a kiss Jennie gave me before she left.

It's private, and no one should know about it.