Chapter Nine

LISA

Jisoo walks to me as soon as I enter the class, the look on her face shows me that she disapproves of something I have done. And, I will be stupid if I don't know what she is going to confront me about. "Lisa, Jennie said that you and her are separated-"

I turn to her before she even reaches me, "Jisoo, you know, Jennie and I are not even together. The term separation you are using is not right."

"I mean, as a friend. Her face was sad when Chaeyoung and I met her this morning, so we asked her the reason. She didn't say much. She just said that she can't see you anymore. We can't hang out together anymore." Jisoo's expression turns into a sour one. I know my decision causes Jisoo and Chaeyoung difficulty, given the fact that they are dating. But, what could I do? How should I act?

"I am sorry, Jisoo."

Her hand is on my shoulder, patting me in comfort before she smiles at me, "You know, I can't get angry at you no matter what. It's your decision. And, as your friend, I will always support you."

"Yep. Thanks, a lot." I return her smile before focusing on something else. After a while, I see Jennie walking to our class with Mino carrying her bag as his smile widens when he sees me. Actually, his smirk grows wider and more cockily.

Deep down, I know Mino knows more about Jennie and I than he should have. He also adores Jennie, and he's not an ideal guy for everyone, for Jennie. Luckily, every time, I see her brush him off whenever he approaches her, but not this day, of course.

Today, she seems to open more within his presence. She smiles at his stupid joke for the first time since I knew her. She doesn't run away or at least walk away from him anymore. If she is happy with him, I am okay, but if she does that only to make my blood boil, I refuse to accept. Not that I have any right to do that, but at least I can protect her from afar. From the bad guy, and the heartbreak she will have if we still talk to each other.

"I hate him." Jisoo says as I look at her in confusion. Then, she points at Mino, not afraid that he might see her or something. "At least, he wants to make her happy. He can make her happy if he decides to." I mumble, not wanting anyone to hear, but Jisoo looks at me with pity in her eyes. The first time of her showing pity to me, but I don't get upset about that because she's my friend, and that's the thing I deserve right now because of the decision I made.

Jisoo sighs but doesn't say anything as she takes out her phone to pick it up, which I am sure it's Chaeyoung. Jennie glances at me but turning away as fast as possible.

Look at her. She hates me from the core now.

I shake myself out of the pitfall as Yeri calls my name while waving her hand at me. Jisoo looks at us disapprovingly as I calm her down a bit. "She's my friend. I am not using her to have Jennie out of my life."

"I know it's unintentional, but it's hurt, Lisa. You know that, right?" She asks as I try to take what she is saying in. If she is talking about Jennie right now, I should not continue anymore. After all, it all ends here. It should end here.

I avoid her gaze as the class comes to an end after a while.

Suddenly, there is a downpour outside. The sky becomes dark, and most of the students have left already. I walk up to the bus station as Yeri follows behind. We have to be there before the bus leaves again so we have to wait for another hour or so.

As the bus arrives, many students run on the bus as if they are afraid that there is no more bus lining up after this one. So, Yeri and I decide to go after them because we don't want to be pushed back by the strength of those kids.

"Sorry, girls. There's only one more seat. One of you should wait here." The driver shouts since the rain is still pouring heavily. Yeri looks at me, "Lisa, you-"

"No. You go first. Today, I don't have any work, anyway." I push her inside a bit because she still hesitates, and everyone becomes hostile inside because of too many people, and they need to leave now. Then, I close the door, "Bye, Yeri."

The bus leaves, and I go back to where I was sitting. Suddenly, my eyes catch someone familiar walking around the corner.

Jennie.

Actually, she doesn't walk. She runs. She is running from someone. Then, that's my cue to help her. I don't want to meddle in her business anymore, but I can't deny the dreadful feeling of seeing her in danger. She's in danger, and I need to help her no matter what.

One.

Two.

Three.

Then, I bolt. After a few minutes, I am after her. Then, I glance at the man behind me who still runs after Jennie. Thanks to my height and long legs, I go a few feet ahead of Jennie, grabbing her elbow to the dark corner.

Our bodies are drenched right now, but I don't stop dragging her until we reach one of our classrooms before I close the door and lock it. Luckily, no one has locked it yet.

"Go away! Go away!" She tries to push me away as I am shocked at what she does. Well, I guess she doesn't want my help after all, but at least she's out of danger. I don't say anything. That leads her to stop hitting me and calming down a bit.

I take a few steps to where I can turn on the light before I turn around to see Jennie's face.

That's not the Jennie, I know. Instead of the charming smile and laugh I love about her, I for the first time, see the sadness in her eyes. Not the sadness that she is rejected by me or anything, but the real one. Her face is stained with tears. Not to mention, her bloodshot eyes. "What's wrong?" I mumble.

The next thing I know is she flings herself in mine and bawls her eyes out. Her grip on me tightens as she clutches my shirt firmly as if her life depends on it. "Shh, it's okay." The first time, I let her be, let her use me as her anchor when she's sad like I always want to be.

That's when I realize that she didn't push me away because it's me. She did it because she thought I am the man.