14

NEWS ABOUT THE ATTEMPTED robbery at Lalisa's spreads like a contagious disease. Too perturbed by the entire situation, I sit the next day of school out, and stay at home. It gives me time to drown out my thoughts by simply working on my final project, and I get to ignore everyone else who keeps bombarding my phone.

Rather than going out for lunch like I usually do, I make something inside the kitchen for once. It feels as if I have quarantined myself from the entirety of Thistlethorn. For the most part this gives me some peace of mind. I actually sleep through majority of the morning, only waking up in time to eat something. After that, I'm mostly at my desk. I fall asleep later, waking up again in the late afternoon.

By now, school would have just let out. Again, I do not bother checking my phone. I'm sure the notifications number has only increased. But I don't feel like explaining the situation over and over to everyone. Personally, I feel a little pity for Lalisa. She must be swamped with the police trying to survey the situation. Obviously what she did was self-defense, but if I were in her situation, it would definitely be eating me out from the inside.

I know, it's a miracle that I'm actually feeling sympathy for her. I must be going soft.

There's an odd rap on my window, one veiled by light pink curtains. I sit up straighter, then pull it past. When Yeonjun's face pops into view I almost scream. Actually I do, but it's muted.

Pulling up the window, I blink. "Whatever did I do to deserve this intrusion?"

"Are you even surprised I would do this?"

"I should not be, but I am. How did you even climb up here?"

"Mai." Yeonjun smiles. "I have broken into a morgue. Climbing up to your bedroom window is not as difficult as you would think for a guy like me."

I scoff. "Whatever, come inside I guess." I'm about to add that it would be rude to leave him hanging, but I remind myself that I'm annoyed with his sudden appearance. I shouldn't be cracking jokes.

"I didn't text you since I figured you wouldn't answer."

"You presumed correct. I turned off my phone, the continuous buzzing was pissing me off."

He takes a seat on my bed. I find it strange that he doesn't comment on how pink the room is. It's quite opposite of my personality, yet he does not even notice.

"Yeah, which is why I decided to stop by. I hope you're doing okay."

"Sounds pretty sentimental coming from you Choi. Did Doyeon set you up on this?"

"No." He raises a brow. "I was worried about you. You witnessed a robbery at gun point. And I heard that Lisa shot them."

"Yeah..." I groan. "Also didn't exactly want to think about it."

"And what're you gonna do? Ignore that it happened?"

"Yeah! Maybe?"

"You're so strange Mai." He shakes his head. "One day that's gonna get to you."

"It hasn't yet so I'm not worried about it." I glare at Yeonjun. "I can handle myself just fine, no need to be concerned."

"Whatever." Now he just seems annoyed. "I thought that maybe if I told you how I felt, you might tell me how you feel too."

It's quite obvious he means more than just witnessing a robbery. And his words actually hit a lot harder than I want them too, because it almost makes me cry. There's too much in my life that is screwed up. Mainly because someone close to me messed it up, and because I also messed up my own life. I don't even have a consistent family, and I seem to be driving everything close to me away. Whether it be a defensive mechanism, I don't know. I don't like it though, but I can't figure out how to fix my problem.