Chapter 5

The next morning while I was at my locker, Katie came up and leaned against the locker next to mine.
"Hi," I smiled. She was wearing light skinny jeans, black Converse, and a dark blue hoodie.
"Hey there," she replied with a smile. "You left something at the bowling alley last night." I made a face.
"What?" I hadn't even taken anything really, my phone, my wallet, and my hoodie. My dark blue hoodie. I grinned and looked back at her wearing it.
"Shoot, thanks a lot. That's my favorite one." I closed my locker and she stayed where she was.
"It's comfy," she agreed, nodding her head and looking down.
"It looks cute on you," I said, before I really realized what I was doing. She blushed slightly and looked back up at me.
"You think so?"
"Better than it does on me, that's for sure."
She laughed. "I don't know about that." She began playing with the zipper for a second and then unzipped it, revealing a black v-necked t-shirt.
"Hey, you know... you can wear it today if you want... to like, go with your outfit or whatever." I said quickly, scratching my neck and not looking at her. She giggled softly.
"Not today," she replied, taking it off, placing it in my hands. I tried to not feel rejected, it was just a hoodie.
The warning bell rang signaling that we had 5 minutes left before class started.
Shit, Miss Smith, I thought. I hadn't gone to see her yet. No, I needed distance.
I stopped thinking to look back to Katie.
"I don't want to make you late," I said.
"You won't," she replied, "but you're right, I should go."
"Yeah, have a nice day... see you later."
"You too," she smiled and turned to leave. Halfway down the hallway she turned back around. "Hey, Kam?"
"Yeah?" I yelled back.
"Do you wanna come over this weekend sometime? If not, it's ok-"
"Sounds great," I cut her off. She smiled and turned back around and I did the same.

The whole day all I could think about was Katie... and sometimes Miss Smith.
Katie was fun and cute and nice, there wasn't any reason for me to not see where things could go with her. Miss Smith wouldn't and couldn't love me, I had to do stuff for me once in a while. But when I walked into her classroom at lunch my stomach flipped, and immediately I felt differently.
"Hey," she looked up at me and smiled. I sighed and returned the smile.
"Hey," I said, sitting down across from her.
"How's it going?" she asked.
"Good actually. I think I actually have plans this weekend." Miss Smith stopped typing and looked at me.
"You always have plans," she rolled her eyes.
"No, I mean like, plans. With a girl, maybe." I said this nervously, not sure if I wanted her to know about my sort-of liking Katie. The playful smile faded from her face and she went back to typing.
"Yeah?" her voice cracked, "With who?"
"Uh, Katie Andrews...I think you had her-"
"Yeah, I did. She's nice. What are you guys doing?"
"I'm scared to talk about it, I don't wanna jinx it." I was always big on superstition. Miss Smith smiled.
"You're not gonna jinx it, weirdo." Miss Smith was not.
"I'm not actually sure yet. She just asked if I would come over, so I'm assuming... movie watching." That was a lie. Katie was nice, but she wasn't pure of heart completely. Not that I was big on rushing things when it came to romantic relationships, but I knew there was a possibility of a lot more than watching movies. That's just how Katie was. I didn't necessarily COUNT on it happening, but if it did I wouldn't be opposed.
Miss Smith stood up and I gulped. She was wearing a black pencil skirt with a blue see-through, wide-necklined blouse, and black high heels. She turned to the board so the back of her faced me and I took the opportunity to look her up and down. As she turned around I made myself busy by checking my phone. She excused herself for a minute and I put my head in my hands. She's everything I want, what am I supposed to do?
When she came back she came and sat next to me with her lunch. We talked about a few upcoming concerts she really wanted to go to and books we'd read over the summer. While she was next to me I felt totally content, besides the slight tingling of my limbs. But in the middle of our talking, someone knocked on the already open door. Miss Smith stopped laughing to turn her head, I watched her eyes shift and allowed mine to do the same. Sarah. My first instinct was to run but it was obviously too late.
"Hey, Miss Smith," she smiled, "hey, Kameron." I gritted my teeth but forced myself to smile at her.
"What's up, Sarah?" Miss Smith asked.
"Oh, nothing, I just noticed you guys in here laughing on my way down the hall and wanted to come in and say hi. You two always seem to be having so much fun." She remained in the doorway and ran her hand through her short blonde hair once, quickly. I blushed and looked away from Miss Smith's face.
''Uh, yeah. We were just talking about a book we both happened to read-"
"What book?" Sarah asked, cutting her off. Miss Smith told her to which Sarah replied, "I read that recently too! It's so good." I rolled my eyes discretely and yawned. She'd read two books her whole life, I doubted she'd read it too.
They talked about art for a few minutes when my phone went off.
Hey, Katie. I smiled.
- What's up, buttercup?
I'm in Chem... so basically I'm bored out of my mind.
- I'm glad I'm only an option when you're bored.
You were the first thing on my mind ;)
Again I was blushing, and a smile crept its way onto my lips.
-I'm flattered, honestly.
You're easy to flatter.
- Eh, sometimes cute girls fluster me... so that can't be it😜
Har har. You're saying I'm not cute?
- I guess you might be.
I hadn't even realized it but both Miss Smith and Sarah were looking at me.
"What?" I asked, sliding my phone away.
"Nothing," Miss Smith replied quickly. The bell rang, telling us lunch was over, so I said goodbye to Miss Smith, nodded to Sarah and went on to my next class, ignoring how strange Miss Smith had been acting and daydreaming about spending the day with Katie sometime the upcoming weekend.