Chapter 3

"What do you want now?" I rolled my eyes playfully, spinning around to face Miss Smith.
"What's bothering you?" she asked, crossing her arms. I sighed and put my hands over my eyes.
"Nothing," I said grumpily. She maintained eye contact with me and tilted her head. I closed my eyes so I wouldn't be tempted to tell her, she always won and we both knew it.
"Kameron," she said half-playfully. I smiled and opened my eyes.
"Okay, Brooke." I smirked at her. She didn't mind me calling her by her first name as long as I didn't do it in class, and I loved doing it. Her eyebrows came together momentarily but before I could ask what was wrong she shook it off her face.
"Seriously, what's up?" she leaned against the whiteboard and I sat down in a desk across from her.
"I'm just stressed about college and future...plans, it's nothing."
"What's stressing you out about it?"
I laughed nervously, "Well, besides the fact that I have no idea what I wanna do, I don't know about leaving state and I dunno, there's just a lot that goes into it, I'm sure you remember." I looked up at her to see her already looking down at me and she smiled slightly, sadly.
"Yeah I do," she looked down at the ground, "what's making you want to stay?" My heart stopped and I began restlessly bumping my leg.
"Erm," I scratched the back of my neck, "I guess... my friends sort of... and my mom... and, yeah."
"Don't let your friends hold you back. I know you love them, but you'll meet great people when you go to college. Plus, you can always come back and visit... your family and stuff." She was trying to be encouraging, I know, but she seemed so distracted and sad that I couldn't feel any better.
"Yeah I know. Plus, I'll have to come back to bother you once in a while." She smiled at me and shook her head.
"You're not a bother, you know that."
I took a deep breath and stood up.
"I'm glad you don't think so." I swung my backpack over my shoulders and looked towards the door. Normally staying for an hour or so after school wouldn't bother me so much, but all the college talk had made me pretty sad and I didn't like for Miss Smith to see me sad, anyone really, but especially her.
We maintained eye contact for a moment and she took a step towards me, then froze. I shifted my weight onto one foot uncomfortably, confused as to why she was acting so weird all of a sudden. Just when I was about to say goodbye and run out, she took a step back again and crossed her arms, shivering slightly. She was always cold.
"I'm heading out I guess," I tried to smile at her, "Don't stay here too long, you might freeze." Miss Smith laughed quietly and shot me one last glance before turning and walking towards her desk, waving a goodbye to me.

Obviously, loving her was never something I WANTED to do, but some things you can't choose, like who you fall for, and lots of things you can't change either; like the way you feel. It was something that stressed me out, bothered me, and saddened me for a majority of my time in high school. But it happened, and no matter what I did, there was never a time I didn't love her. Infatuation didn't have anything to do with it. Infatuation is something you get over, it lasts for a little bit and then it's done with. Four years is not "infatuation."
But, in hopes of being wrong, I was thinking that going away for college might lessen my feelings for her. Maybe I would meet someone I could actually have something with instead of pining over someone I could never have. I had to be honest with myself, even if the odds were in my favor and she happened to be a lesbian, whether or not they're graduated, it's still pretty suspicious-looking to date an old student. And how weird would it be for my parents? The person they'd seen at parent teacher conferences for so many years over at Christmastime? I could only imagine how uncomfortable it would be for all involved parties.
I sighed and hopped onto my bed, closing my eyes. I laid there for a minute listening to the music coming out of my speakers before my phone rang.
"Hello?" I answered, slightly aggravated.
"Hi, grumpy," Angela. I smiled.
"What's up?"
"There's a thing tonight you said you'd go to with me." I groaned and leaned back. On the first day back, a few seniors were throwing a "kick-off" event at the bowling alley.
Mostly it was Angela's friends I didn't really associate with.
"You said you would go!" she said angrily.
"I'm in rough shape now," I replied.
"Why?"
"My love life is terrible."
Now Angela groaned. "Look, I know today was your first time seeing Brooke in a while, but you'll have fun. Katie will be there." My interest piqued. Katie had moved here sophomore year, she was pretty cute and cool and we became alright-friends, but since I had been dating Sarah at the time I couldn't really pursue her, then Junior year we didn't have classes and she got a girlfriend. But now we were both single and maybe that's all I needed to forget about my teacher.
"Fine," I responded, "I'll pick you up at 5." I was a better driver than Angela by far so whenever we were going somewhere together we both preferred that I drive.
"Splendid!" Angie said both happily and sarcastically, "See you then."
I hung up and tried to stop moping around long enough to get myself ready to go out.
-
(Still slow, I know, I'm getting there. Thanks for reading!)