27. welcome, baby baylor

p a r k e r

As Olivia disappears behind the wings, I just want to rip that dress off and make love to her. I have to calm myself down because, one, that dress is way too beautiful to destroy, and two, I can't have the people beside me seeing my hard-on.

But when she took her first step on stage, my chest constricted. She radiated beauty. And that dress. It hugged her in all the right places. I couldn't help but smile when I saw her baby bump.

A hand falls onto my shoulder pulling me out of my daze. I turn and find a scrawny man dressed in all black with a headset on. "Parker Baylor?" he asks in a frantic voice.

"Yes?" My brows furrow. Do I know this dude?

"You have to come with me backstage. Olivia's water broke," he says.

My eyes practically bulge out of their sockets. Olivia's only thirty-seven weeks, but Dr. O'Hara said that's still a safe pregnancy. "Her water broke?" Before he can answer, I say, "Where is she?"

"She's with Paulina backstage." We both rush from my seating area weaving through the crowd.

My strides are long and quick, forcing the guy to practically run to keep up with me. My thoughts are racing. My heart is beating out of my chest. Olivia's water broke. We're having a baby.

The guy opens a door leading to one of the backstage rooms. I immediately spot Olivia sitting on a chair; one of her hands squeeze Paulina's. A sheen of sweat glistens on her hairline. I can tell by the grimace on her face that she's experiencing discomfort. "Babe," I say rushing to her side.

A small smile forms on her lips. "I guess baby girl wanted to join the after party," she says playfully.

I wipe the sweat off her forehead with the palm of my hand. "We need to get you to the hospital. The roads will be packed." I try my best to keep my tone calm, but there's a hint of panic lacing my voice.

"Rodger called an ambulance. They should be here any minute," Paulina tells me. I'm slightly relieved but still panicking. Holy shit. We're going to have a baby.

•••

"Ahhhhh," a tortured scream rips out of Olivia's mouth. I bite down on my bottom lip as her nails puncture the skin of my hand.

I don't have a clear view of the road from the back of the vehicle, but all the cars seem to comply with the ambulance's sirens. If they didn't, I would run with Olivia in my arms to the nearest hospital.

"We should be there shortly," the EMT beside me.

"I'm Olivia Windsor," she says to the paramedic.

"I know," the woman replies. "Huge fan, by the way. I'm Harley."

"You think this dress can be salvaged?" Olivia asks.

I hate to say it, but no. The dress is covered with fluids. "Possibly," I give her hand a light squeeze. "But don't worry about that right now." Olivia watches as I bring our entwined hands to my mouth and give the back of her palm a kiss.

Her lips start to tremble and tears fill her eyes. "I'm scared," she whispers to me.

I move closer beside her. "Ollie," I murmur into her ear. "My strong, brave girl. My Golden Babe." The golden specks in her eyes shimmer, and she exhales a breath of relief.