Chapter 25

Ringing filled her ears as Farren's vision slowly returned to her, she was trapped under a chunk of rubble watching as the orcs charged into Helms deep, she caught sight of Legolas sliding down the stairs on a shield firing arrows into the mass, while Aragorn pulled Gimli out of the water.

Farren struggled but her left leg was trapped under the rubble and pulling it was painful. Around her, she heard cries of "To the keep! To the keep!" but she was unable to move much less get to the keep. She was fortunate enough to be hidden in shadows so the orcs that filled the walls didn't see her. But it wouldn't be long till they smelt her. Farren struggled as quietly as possible trying to free herself.

"FARREN! FARREN!" Aragorn's screams filled the air, looking up she saw Aragorn on the wall above her, the orcs now surrounded her, she couldn't yell. Farren bird whistled hoping against hope that it would only bring Aragorn's attention to her and not the hundreds of orcs surrounding her. Aragorn's head whipped towards the sound his eyes widening in fear as he caught sight of her trapped against the wall under the rubble.

"Go! Go!" she mouthed to him. His face was torn between fear and anger, but one of Théoden's men grabbed him dragging him away seeming to ignore Aragorn's protests. Farren pulled back into the shadows further her sword out of reach but clutching her dagger close to her chest. She wouldn't go down without a fight.

Suddenly a hand covered her mouth, she struggled at the taste of blood that was on it. "Shh, now little bird" a soft voice whispered in her ear. Blonde hair fell into her face as Halidir's eyes met hers, with gravity on his side he shoved the boulder off her leg, revealing a disgusting sight. Farren's leg was bloody and bruised bleeding badly but it was luckily not broken. Together they stood up, Haldir supporting Farren as the two made their way painfully slowly towards the keep. Farren sword was again strapped to her back but she held her knife while Haldir had his sword in his right hand and holding her waist in his left.

A sudden gasp left his lips, an orc had got a lucky shot to his side, Farren wobbled on her bad leg but she slashed at the orc coming at her and then used its body as a block against a second. She spun but her voice caught in her throat as she saw an orc slash an axe into Halidir's back, the elf fell to his knees. Farren screamed pulling him to her chest, his hand fell into hers gripping it tightly. 

"You will be an excellent queen. Look after my people" he gasped blood seeping from his lips as his eyes misted over. Farren bowed her head murmuring an elvish prayer before pushing herself to her feet, wobbling unsteadily.

Farren began to climb the rocky cliff in the shadows of the keep, the sky was lighting and Farren desperately tried to stay out of view of orc archers. Her leg was hindering her, usually, Farren was able to nimbly scale cliffs with minimal effort but her leg was dramatically slowing her down. A hundred meters above the horn sat proudly if she could make it up there, there was a passage into the keep she could take as that is where the rest were holed up in. Helms Deep had fallen.

Her hands were now also bloody from the sharp rocks, but she eventually made it up to the horn, rolling her body to the staircase and hopping down it, using the wall as a support. She heard the shouting long before she reached the main room.

"You said this fortress would never fall while your men defend it, my sister is still out there alive, Helms Deep will not fall" She heard Aragorn's voice yell, presumably at Théoden's constant negative attitude. "They still defend it, they have died defending it"

The conversation dropped in volume but Farren reached the door to see the chaos inside it, no one noticed her in the chaos. Her gaze fell on the window as dawn's light-filled in, Gandalf's words ringing in her mind.

"So much death. What can men do against such reckless hate?" Theoden asked.

"Ride out with me" Farren said limping towards the group, gasps of her name rung around the room, Aragorn appearing at her side to help relieve the weight off her leg. "Ride out and meet them"

"For death and glory"

Farren shook her head, "For Rohan. For your people"

"The sun is rising" Gimli pointed out.

Theoden nodded, yelling about the horn that Farren had just come from, Gimili sprinted past her, up the stair she had just come down. Aragorn pulled one arm over her shoulder pulling her up onto Arod, he hugged her tightly from behind. "I thought the worst"

She gripped his hand tightly, "Haldir saved me"

"He is not with you?" Aragorn's voice indicated he already knew the answer, her nod only confirmed it. "Then he died defending a worthy warrior and Queen"

Legolas smiled at Farren as he sat on the white horse next to them, relief was evident in his face. Together the four of them faced the door as it crumbled, Aragorn drew his sword, careful not to cut Farren. Farren too careful drew her dagger the two of them sitting at the head of the column. Farren leaned down to Arod a strange connection suddenly felt between her and the horse in her chest. "Ride hard, ride fast and do not stop" she whispered to it, her hands on its mane. Arod tossed his head gently and Farren could have sword he made eyes contact with her.

With a cry, the remaining men charged out the door into the mass of orcs as Gimli sounded the horn. Farren slashed at a few but Aragorn was doing most of the work, Farren focused on the horse beneath them and those around her, she called out to a panicked horse as they galloped by and the creature instantly calmed again re-joining the charge.

They waded into the mass as sunlight spilt over the ridge. A horse's call filled the air causing all to look up. Gandalf sat illuminated on the ridge sunlight pouring around him like a halo. A figure appeared behind him, blonde hair flying in the breeze. "Eomer" Farren cried in relief as behind Eomer the Rohirrim appeared, all on horseback.

The orcs had turned their attention to the new threat, organising themselves and lowing their spears towards the horses that charged down the hill. Farren held her breath in fear but Gandalf raised his staff, light flooding into the eyes of the orcs. "Jump" Farren screamed her voice sounding different even to her own ears and Aragorn started in surprise. In unison, to her command, the leading horses of the Rohirrim jumped over the deadly spears crashing into the Uruk-hai ranks.

"It's over" Farren smiled leaning back into Aragorn

"For now yes" he replied curling around her protectively.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N I'm sooo close to the end of my exams! Two weeks left! I'm really happy with this chapter as I have never seen a lotr fanfiction where the OC gets trapped outside the walls during Helms Deep. Throughout this story I have tried to go against the usual tropes that I see in these types of stories.

The next update will be on Thursday.

Wren