Chapter 23

Farren woke to Aragorn's gentle voice. She sat up confused why she was only in her leggings and linen across her chest. Aragorn was dressed in armour. "All the women and children are being sent to the caves Farren," he said softly.

Farren swung her legs sideways jumping out of bed, her back ached but catching sight of her reflection in the mirror she saw that her scars were sealed and her back was still moist with oil, which helped to keep the skin soft and not tearing. She pulled on a fresh shirt as Aragorn handed her armour that he had brought. "I know there will be no stopping you from joining me tonight. Even despite a certain elf wanting you to staying and guard the women and children"

Farren shrugged, her memory was blurred from earlier, she wasn't quite sure how Legolas had got her shirt off her. Maybe she'd passed out beforehand. "Why would he want that, he of all people should know what I'm capable of?" Aragorn gave her a look but helped her strap on her dragon hide armour across her chest. Farren tightened the buckles of her scabbard across her back and sheath Legolas' dagger at her hip.

"You'll need your bow" Aragorn nodded to her small hunting bow that rested with her pack, nodding her thanks she took that and her quiver strapping over her left shoulder so she could still have access to her right with her sword handle.

Together they made their way to the armoury, Farren stopped every now and again offering advice or encouragement to men and boys alike, their faces seemed to light up after her conversation with them. She could only hope she was inspiring them and not patronising them like they were all going to die.

The armoury was full of men gathering supplies, "Farmers and stable boys" Aragorn muttered, "These are no soldiers"

"Most have seen too many winters" Gimli agreed.

"Or too few" Legolas hurt, and angry gaze confused Farren as he looked at her. What had she done wrong?

"We have no other choice. Do not destroy hope when there is so little, to begin with" she chastised them.

"Look at them. They're frightened. I can see it in their eyes" he turned away but then looked back speaking in elvish so only Farren and Aragorn could understand him. "And they should be 300 against 10,000"

"They have more hope of defending themselves here than in Edoras" Aragorn replied carefully in Elvish trying to make it sound like they were not arguing to the onlookers.

"Aragorn. They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!" he spat the last sentence at them angrily.

"Then I shall die as one of them!" Aragorn yelled in basic language so every man could understand them. 

Farren closed her eyes briefly, great going boys, you guys really know how to inspire people. 

He turned around storming away, Legolas moved to go forward but Gimili stopped him, "Let him go lad" Legolas turned to Farren. She shook her head sadly at the elf. She spoke softly to him in elvish so no one else would understand them,

"You are as frightened as they are Legolas. For good reason. But do nottake it out on us or them" she turned around following her brother out of theroom.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Farren leant on the wall watching the men, a young boy looked at her nervously. She smiled at him, "Give me your sword. What is your name?" the young brown-haired boy handed over his blade.

"Dain son of Kain my Lady" he replied looking at her, "The men say we will not survive the night". Farren pushed herself off the wall placing the sword in Dain's hand. He stood behind him guiding him into an om-guard position. People around them stopped to take notice of them.

"When the Uruk-hai attack, don't aim for the middle of the chest, you won't get past their armour" she guided Dain's arm in a swift stabbing motion, "Aim for the chink in the armour beneath the armpit or," she guided it in an upwards jab, "Under his helmet". 

She pulled his arm back to a defensive position her other hand supporting his shield hand. "Keep your shield in front of your body at all times, stab over or around it. Never uncover your midsection"

"And if it charges at me?" Dain asked but his voice sounded stronger more confident, others old and young around them were mimicking the motions that Farren was demonstrating with Dain. "Uruk-hai are big and heavy, more so with their armour. You fall and you'll get killed" Dain froze looking at her scared. 

"But," she continued smiling encouragingly, "They are slow. You may be smaller but you are faster. Get behind him and stab. You cannot be killed if you cannot be caught". A small smile spread across Dain's face he nodded his head held slightly higher.

"Farren" Aragorn called from the entrance to the armoury, beckoning her. Farren walked to the top of the stairs before turning back to face the now large group of men that faced her, she smiled at them. "Helm's Deep has never fallen before. Not while the men of Rohan still breath. As long as I live the Age of Men will continue"

Silence greeted her, but then a cheer sounded, and all the men started yelling and cheering. Aragorn looked at her in surprise then smiled as he took her hand leading her away from the men. "You are incredible Ren"

"No. They are" she replied.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Here," Farren murmured as she took the strap of Aragorn's armour to tighten it. Her fingers danced over the cool metal, the feeling familiar, muscle memory by now. But this fight was different to the ones before, this time Farren wasn't fighting alongside trained dwarfs or elves or even battle-hardened soldiers. This time she fought alongside farmers and stable boys against an army that had the sole purpose of massacring them.

Aragorn turned to see Legolas holding out his sword. Farren held her breath, her gaze flicking between the two of them. "We have trusted you this far. You have not led us astray. Forgive me" he glanced over to meet Farren's gaze, "I was wrong to despair." Aragorn smiled clapping the elf on the back, the two old friends reunited, speaking calmly in elvish.

"There is nothing to forgive, Legolas" Gimli shuffled into the room holding his armour up. Farren tilted her head to the side slightly squinting at the dwarf.

"If we had time, I'd get this adjusted." He dropped it so it fell around his feet, longer than a dress, Farren bit her lips together trying not to smile. "It's a little tight across the chest" Aragorn nodded, also trying not to laugh. A horn sounded in the distance, Farren spun around,

"That is no orc horn," Legolas said as he took her hand pulling her down the steps of the armoury.

Hundreds of elves were marching through the open gates, Farren recognised their cloaks and bows. She caught sight of Haldir as they rounded the corner, "We come to honour that allegiance" he smiled up at her. Aragorn greeted Haldir first, the elf looked slightly miffed by the sudden hug, Aragorn soon drew back smiling broadly. Farren took her turn, she was a lot smaller than them all only 5 foot so when she launched herself into Haldir's arms her feet were easily a foot off the ground as he held her tightly.

Haldir let her down looking towards Theoden, "We are proud to fight alongside Men once more" he glanced at Farren who stood beside Legolas a small smile on his face. "I am glad to fight alongside my friends once more" Legolas too clapped his friend on the back.

"The Uruk-hai will soon be upon us, let us take a position on the battlements" Farren spoke looking at Theoden. All around her the men seemed to hum with new energy, they were not alone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Welp, I am now officially halfway through my seven weeks of exams and mentally and physically exhausted. I apologise for the lack of updates, literally forgot about everything that is not school.

Thank you so much for staying with this story so long, I've always loved Lord of the Rings and comparing this book to my other one that I wrote 5 years ago is crazy!

The next update should be Wednesday or Thursday!

Wren