Chapter 28

Farren sat beside Aragorn as Theoden toasted the fallen from the battle, she was purposely ignoring the gazes of both Legolas and Eomer, the two had glared at each other the whole way back to Edoras. Farren couldn't quite understand either of their anger at each other, both had helped each other at Helms Deep. She sighed quietly leaning into Aragorn as the party began to get loud, she would never understand men all the time.

A squeal made Farren jump, Aragorn's arm around her shoulders slipping as Farren was tackled into a hug by Eowyn. They hadn't seen each other since before the battle, Farren leaving for Isengard before Eowyn had finished getting everyone back out of the tunnels. Farren was also aware of Eowyn's crush on her brother and reminded herself to talk to the girl before it got too messy Aragorn would never love anyone like Arwen, not even a strong-willed maiden such as Eowyn.

Eowyn's eyes were on Aragorn as she raised a cup towards him, the tension in the air palpable. Farren shifted awkwardly as her friend gazed up at her brother, while Aragorn himself looked split between gratitude and solum awkwardness.

Before Farren could awkwardly cough a strong hand pulled her away and onto the dance floor, blonde hair falling into her face as she looked up into blue eyes, a smile on their face.

Eomer's hands were steady on her hips as he spun her into the dance, and despite the echoes of Saruman's words in her head Farren laughed, joining in happily with the fast pace dance that had the two of them spinning and moving so quickly that space was cleared for them. Farren tossed her head back laughing at the ceiling as Eomer's hands gripped her wats lifting her into a spin. They both knew this dance, had danced in several times all those years ago.

People were watching the pair, clapping to the beat and cheering them on. Farren caught a glimpse of Pippen ad Merry in the corner doing a jig with tankards of mead in their hands, she saw Gimli smiling at her from a stool near the bar.

She caught Aragorn's gaze, her brother's eyes twinkling with amusement and laughter his eyes flicking from her to something behind her. Confused Farren turned her head towards the doorway where Aragorn seemed to be looking. She caught a glimpse of Legolas, leant against the doorframe, arms crossed a sour expression on his face as he watched the dance floor. She only got a glimpse of him before the dance swept him from her line of vision.

The song finally camp to an end, both Farren and Eomer were panting half out of exertion half out of their laughter, Farren's arms were still around his neck, his breath gentle on her face. She was aware of noise around them, of other couples dancing to a new beat and the hum of voices. But her ears tuned it all out she looked up at Eomer who was already gazing into her eyes, both their chest heaving. Her own chest was pressed to his own she could feel his heartbeat racing as much as hers.

For a second Eomer's blonde hair became shaggy, and she gazed in Fili's eyes, but the image faded quickly. Eomer's arms made her feel safe, just like Aragorn's did. Their faces were very close, she could feel her cheeks warming as his gaze slipped to her lips and then back to her eyes. Farren allowed her own gaze to drop to Eomer's lips then back to his eyes. His eyes had darkened, they now resembled a deep ocean, powerful rolling waves crashing within them.

He leaned in slowly, giving her time to pull away. She didn't. Instead, her eyes fluttered closed, hands curling into the hair at the nape of his neck. Chapped lips brushed her own soft ones, hesitant and wary, she could smell fresh grass and forest air on him. She pressed her own lips more firmly and the dam seemed to break his hands slid up her back to tangle in her hair, she gasped, and he swallowed the sound.

A loud thump had the two of them jumping apart, a well-aimed empty tinkered at been thrown at Eomer, at exactly the right angle to have him stumble sideways into a barrel of mead. Farren stood for a few second in shock, her lips still tingling as she took in Eomer who now dripped with mead get grabbed by some of his laughing friends, they seemed to be pulling him away to get him cleared up.