Special Chapter

This chapter would explain why Bokuto and Akaashi were not that close in the fic (in the timeskip). It hurts because I am a BokuAka shipper myself but I have to do this for the plot *sad owl noises*. And honestly, I totally forgot to include him in the epilogue so I kind of feel bad. Let me remind you that this fic is full angst so I hope you don't bash me for ruining the ships. Here 'ya go.

------

Bokuto walked around nervously inside Fukurodani's gymnasium. 

"I can do this. I can do this. I can do this," he mumbled to himself. He kept saying the same trance over and over again but he still couldn't calm his nerves. If only Kuroo had given him decent advices, he wouldn't be this panicked.

He made sure to wake up early just to do his plan. He knew Akaashi would be the first one to arrive on their Saturday training and a farewell to the graduating third years, that's why he came early too. He was about to confess his love. He wanted to start college by completely asking Akaashi out. He had to admit that he was completely whipped with the pretty setter. 

The moment his golden eyes met the setter's ocean ones, he knew he'd never see him as a friend. There's something about Akaashi that'd make every decent person fall for him.

The gym door opened. Bokuto immediately shot his eyes up.

Akaashi stopped from his tracks when he saw the ace.

"Good morning, Bokuto-san," he greeted then walked to the bench near Bokuto. He dropped his gym bag on it and turned to look at the frozen ace. 

He tilted his head to the side in confusion. "What's the matter, Bokuto-san?"

"A-ahgaashi..." he greeted back, though it was late.

Akaashi was weirded out. His captain wasn't as loud as usual which was really weird.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah..." Bokuto paused, seeming to think of something. "Yeah." He grinned. He needed to do it. He could if he would.

"I have something to tell you, by the way," he added, walking closer to the setter.

"Hm, what is it?" Akaashi asked, rummaging through his bag. He was looking for his kneecaps which he probably misplaced since he couldn't find it.

"I like you, Akaashi Keiji," he blurted out, surprised that he didn't show any sign of nervousness.

Akaashi immediately looked back to him. "W-what?"

"I mean, why?" he added.

"I just like you the way you are. Is that bad?" the ace bravely said.

"Bokuto-san..." Akaashi's tone hinted that what he'd say next would not be good but Bokuto didn't seem to get it. 

"Y-yes?" Bokuto asked, eyes hopeful.

Guilt crept Akaashi before saying, "I'm sorry."

"What... do you mean?" Bokuto's eyes were still hopeful and that made the setter guilty enough to look away.

"I like someone else."

Just with that one sentence, everything changed for the both of them.

Graduation. 

Bokuto avoided Akaashi who was supposed to congratulate and say goodbye to him.

Akaashi figured out it was for the best. Still, he wanted to maintain their friendship which was impossible because Bokuto was totally hurt.

The setter blamed himself for being so straightforward but he had to be. Or else, Bokuto would get the wrong signal.

College.

They weren't in the same school and yet he'd always see his former captain inside their campus. It was because Kuroo got into the same university as Akaashi.

Still, they didn't talk with each other. Kuroo too. 

Akaashi just couldn't seem to talk to him normally after what he did to Kenma.

And then Kuroo's wedding.

Akaashi knew he had to force himself to talk to Bokuto. Or he'd regret it for the rest of his life.

As soon as Kenma and Kuroo was out his sight, he walked his way towards his former ace and captain, preparing himself for the worst outcome. His straightforwardness was not the best match for the sensitive Bokuto.

Bokuto was laughing with Oikawa and Terushima. Akaashi was right behind him and he didn't seem to notice. The other two did though. They nudged Bokuto by their elbows.

"What?" Bokuto asked, still in the middle of laughing.

Oikawa pointed at Akaashi using his lips. Him and Terushima immediately exited afterwards.

Bokuto turned around, meeting Akaashi's ocean eyes for the first time in seven years.

He gasped a little, faking a smile. "A-akaashi."

The Ahgaashi turned to Akaashi in a span of seven years.

And it was my fault, Akaashi thought.

"Hello, sir. You seem to be having fun. Can I join you and be your friend?" Akaashi just wanted to let the ground swallow him out of embarrassment. He prayed to the gods that this would work. It was the childish Bokuto so it would, he hoped.

"Wha-" Bokuto seemed confused at first but then he couldn't hide his grin. He was not supposed to smile at the man who rejected him seven years ago but he just did.

"I said, can I be your friend?" Akaashi repeated, cheeks flushed because of embarrassment.

"Hmm. That would be..." Bokuto held his chin, pretending to think. 

He looked at Akaashi. 

"... a yes."

They grinned at each other.

Yes, this is a new beginning.