"You were mated before?" Zeke asks in surprise. He must not have been paying attention the first time I told them when I met them two days ago.

"Yes. When I was human. Our bond broke when I died and transformed into a vampire. Two days later I met Ash or was it three? My days seem to be blending together."

"Who was your mate before Ash?"

"Marcellus or Marc as he seems to prefer to have people call him."

"Ahhh. That is unfortunate."

"For him or I?"

"Him. One man's trash is another man's treasure, no? He couldn't see the gem shining in the sea of diamonds. 'Tis his loss." Zeke's voice was wistful. I was offended by the trash part though. Did he really call me Marcellus's trash?

I really didn't like the way he was looking at me either. Like I was a treasure he was missing out of and calculating how to fix it. I narrow my eyes at him. His expression quickly goes blank as he slowly blinks at me.

"If that's all I'd like to leave now. I have breakfast waiting for me and would like to eat it before I head out to my new job."

"Yes of course. Please do tell us if there's anything at all you need."

"Thank you."

Exiting the room I hurry back to mine. I was glad to see one of the servants arriving at the same time as me.

I open the door for her to wheel the cart in. She sets it by one of the chairs off to the side. The door isn't even closed behind her before I have the lid off and am devouring my food. While I eat I message Ash.

I miss you. :(

I wasn't expecting a text back so I was surprised when I received one. It wasn't from him though. It was Stella.

Stella- Wanna grab lunch?

Me- Sorry I can't. I'm starting work at 11. Wanna do dinner instead? It won't be until 7:30 tonight though. And of course your daughter is invited as well.

Stella- Sounds great! We'll see you then. Good luck on your first day! 😁

Me- Thank you! 😁

Before I put my phone down it buzzes again. Indicating another text came in. This time it was Ash.

Ash- I miss you more baby. I hope you have a great first day at your job. I love you. 😘

Me- I love you, too! Thank you babe. If you get a chance call me tonight. I don't care what time it is either. 🥰😘

Grabbing my purse I slide my phone into the front pocket and head outside to see the driver patiently waiting for me. Weird. I hadn't called him yet to let him know I needed a ride. Shrugging it off I walk over to him.

He opens the back door and I climb in without really paying attention. I almost have a heart attack when I finally notice who is sitting next to me.

"Zeke! What the fuck. What are you doing here?" I grab my chest trying to calm my racing heart down.

"You said you had to go to work but didn't say what time exactly. I have to be somewhere too. I didn't want to leave you stranded so we waited for you."

His eyes are twinkling in mischief. My instincts were screaming he wasn't being fully honest. I narrow my eyes at him. I didn't trust this vampire in the least.

"There's only one driver? You don't drive? Or have your own car?"

"Oh I drive. I could always drive you myself. We do have more than one driver but they're already out driving others around."

"Huh. No thank you by the way. I don't need you to drive me anywhere. Where's your guard anyhow?"

"Sean I'd like you to meet Cora. Cora this is my personal guard Sean Whitfield."

Sean turns in his seat. Almost impossible for his size. He was massive. When he finally is able to face me better, he gives me a curt nod. I give him a polite smile in return. I turn my attention back to the vampire next to me.

"Why couldn't he drive you?"

"How would he protect me properly if he is driving?"

"Why do you guys need protection anyways? Can you not protect yourselves?"

"Oh, my sweet. I can very well protect myself. However do Kings not have guards to protect them and their kingdoms?" He had a point.

"Why do you all rule together? Why not branch off. Have your own kingdoms to rule, defend, and protect? Also call me Cora please. I am not yours therefore I do not give you permission to use any pet names for me."

"Do not hold your breath on that Cora. If an opportunity arises to make you mine I will do so."

"Never. I will never be yours Zeke."

"You are so certain?" He narrows his eyes at me.

"Yes. There is no doubt in my mind or heart."

"Hmmm." He stares out the window for awhile. I did the same and was happy to see we were almost to the city. Sooner than I like though Zeke turns back to me.

"You are so certain you would not have another mate out there?"

"No. I've had two. Ash is it for me. I wouldn't want another after him anyways."

I stayed staring out the window as I answered him. I didn't like talking about this. Any of this. Losing Ash is something I would never want to experience let alone even think about. It made the demon inside me stir. She didn't like this either. I turn to face him.

"If you so much as even think to have something happen to my mate. If you harm him or have him harmed. I will destroy you Zeke. That's a fucking promise." I seethe through my teeth.

I watch him shudder and his eyes widen a little in fear at the feel of my demon. The hairs on all three men, the driver, Zeke, and Zeke's guard Sean, stood to attention.

This is the first time I've let her surface. I needed her to really get my point across to Zeke. It would be in their best interests not to cross me.

Finally the car stops and I get out without a word. I didn't miss Sean's soft exclaimed holy fuck as I was shutting the door.

I'm sure when I return back to the fortress tonight the elders would want to talk to me. There's no doubt in my mind Zeke wouldn't keep what I am to himself. He couldn't. I wasn't scared of anyone finding out though.

I didn't know what exactly I was until just a second ago either. My demon hasn't really presented her presence on her own. Not even to me.

I might be still learning about everything that is vampires but this I knew without a doubt because she told me and what she told me was going to change everything.

I am the vampire Queen.

______________________________________