Chapter 2: Safety

Start from the beginning

Mason, Corey, Alec, and Nolan exchanged glances. They were this close to Liam's kidnapper, and they never knew.

"They thought they could use his blood to make people have the same healing properties you guys have."

"Why did they go after Liam?" Scott asked.

"He's strong; they probably figured he would take longer to kill than anyone else, and they were right. He fought for his life; anyone else would probably be dead by now," Argent told them.

"What did they do to him?" Alec asked.

Argent sighed, "a lot let's just say that; he's going to need you guys more than ever. Physically, he'll heal, mentally that's where it hurts."

Corey stood up suddenly, "well, it doesn't look like he's healing to me; we need to do something more than this."

Everyone stared at the chameleon; it was unlike him. First to even speak up, much less against Argent. He was angry, terrified, and worried for Liam's sake. Mason pulled him back down watching his boyfriend's hands shaking.

"His body is keeping himself alive that's why he can't heal his wounds; he doesn't have enough energy to do both right now. Melissa is doing all she can," he answered him calmly.

"They starved him for forty days, so his healing ability would always be activated to keep him alive," Mason said quietly and realization.

Argent nodded regretfully, "And that's why they beat him to get an enhanced response of it. They thought it would help their results."

Everyone else was silent; Liam didn't deserve that. No one did, but especially not the beta. He was always the first one to enter a fight; he fought for everyone, what was right. He brought out the good in people. He suffered alone for forty days, and that wasn't going to go away quickly.

Hours passed, but Theo saw Liam move slightly. His eyes didn't open, right away, but Theo knew he was awake.

"Little Wolf."

Liam lied there; he heard Theo's voice. It couldn't be him, only Theo called him that. He wasn't safe; they didn't find him. It was a dream, a dream; Theo wasn't there. Parrish's hands brought him slowly back into reality; was he actually safe? Was it actually Theo? He slowly opened his eyes, seeing the bright lights of the hospital.

Theo slid over, "hey."

Liam took a breath in; it was Theo. "Theo?"

"I'm here," Theo went to touch his hand. Liam flinched pulling it away at first, but then returned it to the chimera. Theo sighed that wasn't Liam; Liam always was the one who enjoyed physical affection. He taught Theo how to hug, how to hold hands; he always latched on to Theo.

"Sorry," Liam said quietly.

"No apologizes; you've been through a lot."

Liam's eyes searched his arm and saw the IV in his elbow. He panicked and ripped it out; the doctors were still trying to get his blood. They must have taken Theo too.

"Liam," Theo quickly grabbed his hand as the boy tried to pull them away, "you're safe; you're at the hospital. Melissa is your nurse."

Liam didn't believe him; it was a trap. He felt his heartbeat out of his chest. His arm bleeding from the ripped-out IV.

"Li, you have to calm down, look at me," Theo said calmly as he saw Liam's eyes flash yellow. He noticed something awful; Liam's claws were gone. There were just stubs where Theo assumed they were trying to grow back, but they had nothing to fuel them. They ripped off his claws. Liam's exhaustion took over, and he collapsed back onto the bed. His eyes met the chimera's as they returned to blue.

"I'm safe?" Liam asked, tears streaming down his face.

Theo's heart broke at the fear in voice, "of course, I'm not going to let anything happen to you ever again."

Melissa rushed in hearing voices; she quickly saw Liam managed to rip out his IV.

"Liam," she looked at him calmly.

Liam stared at her it was Melissa, "Melissa?" He was still crying; he was safe.

"It's me," she gave him a small smile, "Liam, I have to bandage your IV, then we have to reinsert it. You need it right now, honey. Can I touch your arm?"

Liam tensed again; he didn't want the IV. He didn't trust it, but he trusted Melissa. He gave in, "yes."

"Okay, 1,2,3," she grabbed his arm as he pulled away from her touch. She began wrapping his arm.

"Liam, hold onto me," Theo said gently. Liam nodded grabbing the chimera's hand. Theo was scared of how weak his grip was, normally the beta would bruise his arm with how strong he was, now there was nothing left.

"Liam, look at Theo; I'm going to put the IV in your hand."

Liam was sobbing at this point; he was scared. He couldn't lose more blood. He felt the pinch of the needle and forgot how to breathe.

"Liam, Liam, Liam!" Theo stared at him, trying to get him to breathe.

"Liam, it's over I promise; I'm not going to poke you anymore," Melissa assured him.

"Liam, can I hug you?" Theo asked.

Liam managed to nod in his panic attack while Theo wrapped his arms around the boy. The beta freaked out at first scared of the connection but eventually settled into his strong arms. The boy was so small in his arms; he felt like a child. He wasn't a child; he was Liam. One of the strongest werewolves out there, standout lacrosse player, the alpha of the puppy pack, his boyfriend, but right now he was a scared child.

Theo held him for a few minutes as Melissa watched over his weak vitals. Liam's breathing returned to normal, but he refused to let go of Theo.

"Liam, is it okay if Theo slides in bed beside you?" Melissa asked.

Liam nodded as Theo sat down beside the boy in bed. Melissa hoped having Theo so close to him would make him feel protected. They sat there Liam using Theo for full support.

"How did Parrish find me?" Liam finally asked.

"You remember he did?" Theo asked.

"It came back to me."

"He had a noise complaint to where you were being held."

Liam nodded.

"Liam, we looked for you for forty days straight."

The realization his Liam; he was gone for forty days. He remembered the first day; they brought in pictures of his parents' bodies. They warned him if he did anything that his friends would be killed, all of them. He tried to block out the abuse, the hunger, the weakness, the pain; it was there though.