Prologue:

"DAMNIT RAY!!!" I heard my mom scream in the living room as I lay in bed.

"Well what do you expect Megan?!? How else am I supposed to make a living?" my dad shouted back.

"You don't have to keep doing this!" My mom.

"Yes I do, there's no choice Megan. I'm good at it, and it pays for all of this!" I heard him say back.

"But..." I heard mom.

"Shhh, we don't want to wake up Tony." Dad said getting softer.

Things grew quieter and I looked at my glowing alarm clock. It showed it was 1:30am and I knew I should try and go back to sleep. This was not the way I thought the first day of summer vacation should feel though. School had let out for the summer at my elementary school at noon yesterday and I had been really excited to be done for the year. Things like this though made me wish I were still at school now – or anywhere else but here. My parents had been fighting more and more over the last few months, and tonight's fight was nothing new. I had no idea what my mom was trying to keep my dad from doing... All he did was the bookkeeping for my grandfather's chain of discount dollar stores. 'What could he be doing that would upset mom like this?' I wondered to myself.

I had just about fallen asleep when I heard a loud fleshy sound. "There's no way I'm getting out of here, and you better start getting that through that stupid brain of yours bitch! No one walks away!!! Ever!"

I heard whimpering and wanted to go and see if Mom was okay, but I was way too scared. I had my own bruised butt from the last time I tried to help. I feigned sleeping when I heard my door suddenly open. "Glad to see you're still sleeping Tony," my dad said menacingly. "Next time you or your mom gets out of line you're really going to know pain."

I kept pretending to sleep and was grateful when I heard the door shut. I quietly sobbed and hoped that Mom was okay.

***************************************************************
Please press the Like Button Above on each chapter! Comments are also always appreciated!

I'm pleased to be bringing one of my favorite novels I've written over here to WattPad. I'll be posting chapters up here as I give them another quick once over. It's a long tale, so it may be a few days to a week before I have the completed novel up here. The full work is available from Lulu.com if you wish to support my writing!