Chapter 7

The class was silent, most of them working on the paper the teacher had given them. Iris scribbled a star on her paper, bored. Movement caught her eye and she drifted her gaze over to watch Allison pass Scott a note. She breathed heavily through her nose in annoyance as she realized that it was probably something irrelevant to her. Knee bouncing, Iris continued to scribble over the same star.

At the sound of footsteps, her head perked up. Another teacher-- or was it the principal?-- walked right up to their teacher and began whispering in the woman's ear. After a moment, he left and she straightened.

Iris was a little surprised when her attention went to Scott and a slim finger gestured him forward. "Mr. McCall," the woman said loudly. Scott was almost too slow to get up out of his chair, confused.

The pair left the classroom and Iris went back to scribbling.

Only a few moments, did Stiles turn to Lydia and open his mouth. "Hey, Lydia." He points with his pencil down to her feet. "What is that? Is that from the accident?"

Iris's eyebrows furrowed as she recalled the events from a couple nights ago. Of course, she hadn't been there herself, she had opted to stay out of the "double date," but she remembers the frantic phone call she got from Lydia.

"I-I thought you said you hadn't gotten, you know, hurt," Iris said softly. The other two turned to look at her and she moved further back in her chair from Stiles's curious gaze.

"No, I didn't. Prada bit me," Lydia explained, almost unwillingly.

"Your dog?" Stiles asked.

An innocent look on her face, Lydia replied, "No, my designer handbag." Stiles gave her a non-impressed look and Iris withheld a smile as she listened. "Yes, my dog."

"Has it ever bitten you before?" Lydia glanced back at Iris before shaking her head, answering Stiles's question.

"Okay, what if it's, like, the same thing as the deer?"

"What do you mean?" Iris asked quietly, eyeing the door.

"You know, like, how animals start acting weird right before an earthquake or something?"

Lydia, whose head was angled away from Stiles the whole conversation, turned to look at him and questioned. "Meaning what? There's going to be an earthquake?"

"Or something. I just- Maybe it means something is coming. Something bad."

"It was a deer and a dog. What's that thing you say about threes? Once, twice--"

Iris heard the loud erratic pounding of the bird's heartbeat before it hit the window right next to Lydia. She spun in her chair just in time to see the black raven slam into the glass. A shriek escaped her lips and she jumped back in her chair. Between her loud noise and the loud thud of the bird, the whole class turned to see what the commotion was.

Stiles sat up straighter in his chair while Iris slouched further down in hers. Ms. Blake slowly made her way to the window, the class silently watching. Iris could hear the squawking of more ravens and the pounding drums of their heartbeats as they got closer.

Ms. Blake jerked away from the window as another bird hit the glass, leaving behind a blood smear. They came in with no purpose except to get away from whatever had spooked them. Chaos ensued as the first bird broke through the window; the birds flew straight through. Glass rained down, along with feathers and drops of blood. The circled through the classroom in terror as everyone yelled in terror.

"Get down, everyone!"

Paralyzed with fear, Iris stayed where she was in her desk. When she felt a hand wrap around her wrist, she could only fall toward the force. Green eyes wide, she caught Stiles's frantic look and crowded next to Lydia. A warm arm wrapped around her back, pulling her closer.

The three stayed like that, waiting for the attack to stop. Stiles's arm burned a hole in Iris's crewneck and she could feel Lydia's sharp elbow digging into her leg, but none of them moved. Hearts pounding loudly and breathing sporadic.

All at once, the cawing stopped, spastic heartbeats ceased, the beat of wings quiet.

Iris unclenched her hands from her hair cautiously, unaware of when they got there. Lydia slowly straightened her back, elbow retracting from Iris's leg, and Stiles moved his arm away, taking the heat with it. Iris slowly rose, the stench of blood and fear filling her nose. Withholding the urge to scream or throw up, or both, she covered her nose with her crewneck collar.

All around the classroom laid the dead bodies of ravens. Iris felt her eyes would become permanently wide as she took in the sight around her. The situation felt like a trick question.

How is a raven like a writing desk?

Both make a loud noise when hurtled through a window.

###

"Is it just me, or is Beacon Hills turning more into a beacon for the totally bizarre and supernatural?" Lydia wondered aloud, while fixing her lip gloss in her mirror. Iris shrugged while the strong smell of hospital drifted into her nose. Her eyes snapped to the woman standing behind the redhead, body tensing.

"Where's Scott McCall?" The woman asked, voice urgent. Allison turned around and met her desperate gaze. She continued, "You're Allison, right?"

"Yeah, how do you know--"

The woman glanced at Iris and Lydia, searching for an answer. "Where's Scott?"

"He had to leave. He-He was supposed to be back in class--" Allison stuttered out. Iris's body lurched forward as the woman's hand shot out and grabbed Allison's wrist.

"Is he coming back?" She asked.

"Hey, easy with the physicality, sweetheart," Lydia demanded, stepping in front of Allison. Her wrist was snatched by the woman and she held both their wrists. Iris hastily took another step forward, hand outreached to stop her. She stopped once she noticed where the woman's gaze was focused.

The two new twins were standing at the ends of the hallway, gazes piercing. After a second of staring, the woman let go of Allison and Lydia. She quickly stepped away and took off in the opposite direction of the twins.

Lydia scoffed in disbelief while Allison walked after the woman. Iris gently took the redhead's wrist in her hand. Purple bruises ran in what looked like a pattern on the pale skin.

"She- She bruised you," Iris pointed out.

Allison held up her arm. "Huh, me too."

"Come on, let's get you three girls out of here. School can wait another day," said a new voice. Iris turned around to see Allison's dad walking toward them, a concerned look on his face. Lydia nodded and Iris followed her as she walked past the man.